1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Optiplex GX620 [Alternate CPU Fan]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bconnerly, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bconnerly

bconnerly Thread Starter

Hey there. I'm modding an old Dell Optiplex GX620.. Several actually. I'm turning them into bar top arcade machines that will run video game emulators. Well I was able to pick up 3 of these machines off craigslist for very cheap.

Once I get them all functioning properly and operating as intended, I'll be removing them from their Dell cases and installing them into an arcade cabinet. All the parts will be exposed inside the cabinet.

The problem I'm running into is the CPU's have these gigantic heat sinks sitting on top of them and a side-facing fan sucking the hot air from the heat sink fins and blowing it out the front of the PC case.

This setup will not work for me. As-is, the fan blows the hot air out the front of the case, but when the motherboard is installed into the arcade cabinet, the fan will not be in a position to blow the hot air out of the cabinet. I need to install a smaller, more up-to-date cpu cooling fan that will blow the air up into the cabinet, the fan that comes with the intel core-i5 processor or something similar would be ideal, then a larger fan will be mounted in the back of the cabinet, blowing all the hot air from the cabinet out the back, not just the hot air from the cpu heat sink.

I hope that made sense, I'll attempt to add pictures.
    EDIT:The first picture is the current heatsink/fan setup. The second picture is the type of fan I feel would be ideal. The third is the available holes for install after that gigantic crap heat sink and plastic is removed.

I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence with my pictures. I feel I'm just terrible at explaining things.

I'm afraid to go out and buy just any cpu fan because I don't know what will fit. So what do you guys recommend? Does my idea sound like a decent idea? If that little fan can keep a core-i5 cool, surely it can keep this cpu from 2004 cool... right? And a fan in the back of the cab would be enough to keep the whole cab cool right?

Attached Files:

2. bconnerly

bconnerly Thread Starter

Anyone? Is this not the correct forum for this thread?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice