1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell OptiPlex GX720 sound does not work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zillah, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zillah

zillah Thread Starter

Hi Expert

My client has 5 desktops at his office all of them are Dell OptiPlex GX720 with XP Prof SP3.

One of them sound does not work,,,,,I tried many things, install driver and download new driver , check if the sound is disabled or enabled ,,,,etc.

Sound card is built in.

What I did from home I accessed the desktop that has sound issue (VPN and RDP) and when I un installed the sound driver and installed it again the sound worked I thought this is the end of my dilemma, I was so happy because the issue was solved and I called the client to tell him that everything is fine.

Next day there was a surprise for me my client rang me to tell me that sound does not work,,,,,,I have no idea what do ? Why it was working when I logged in remotely ?

What are other steps I ought to be considering for the troubleshooting ?

Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is it his speakers? Or maybe the sound in muted in the application/program he is using?

3. zillah

zillah Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that there are no external speakers for all PCs at the office, only built in speakers are used.

No for sure this is not the case.

Thanks

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may just have to physically check it out, or remote in again and check the sound again. The speaker could have failed.

5. zillah

zillah Thread Starter

Hi Triple6

Physically I plugged an external speaker to the rear jack and I could not hear the sound as well.

Just now I check that remotely by listening to live BBC radio and it worked.

Thanks

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well I'm not quite sure how the sound works through RD; ie. if its relies on the computers sound system working or if it has its own virtual driver.

Are there any errors in Device Manager? Is the correct audio device listed as the default sound playback device under Sound & Audio Devices in the Control Panel?

7. zillah

zillah Thread Starter

No.

Yes

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/927647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice