1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell OptiPlex restarts at certain web pages

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Anton Wan, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anton Wan

Anton Wan Thread Starter

I do computer work for a library system. One library that I dread going to because these dell machines have been a headache for me. The problem started last year when the machines would just restart on there own when surfing the web. Tried to upgrade the machines from Win98 to XP problem still there. I then did a fresh install of the machine ran all the updates (before SP2 came out) and did everything I could think of. The machines were working with no problems. UNTIL one of them last week crashed, bad HDD. So I put a new Western Digital 40GB HDD in and did a clean install ran all the updates and installed Office XP with no problems. The machine was on for 6 hours running fine. Then I went to a website called www.safesurf.com and it just shutdown. With in a half of an second it shut completely down. Now the weird thing is that it doesn't run a scan for errors when the machine starts backup. Its like the computer has mental problems. I downloaded the new Java client and thought that would do the trick. I can get to the website from any other of my computers here in the office. Any ideals??? Nothing shows up in the error logs and I guess I don't know where to start. It can't be a power supply problem can it the machine is running fine until I go to that site.

Thanks in advance,
    TK

2. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

I had a PC that kept shutting down it seemed when it was on a certain website. Turned out a new power supply fixed it. It's an inexpensive fix.

3. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

Win2k/WinXP + NTFS does not need to do a full scan when shut down improperly. It's normal behaviour.

As for shutting down at that website, are you sure it isn't just a coincidence? If you go back to that site again, does it shut down again? In any case, like the previous poster mentioned, it is much more likely a hardware problem, possibly the PSU.

4. Anton Wan

Anton Wan Thread Starter

I did not know about NTFS not having to do a full system scan. I will put that one in the memory banks. It is the same website everytime. How would it be the PSU? And if it is why doesn't shut the machine down when I open about 12 word documents and so forth. but if you guys are thinking that it is the PSU could that be a reason why I am on my third HDD with this machine?
    Thanks everyone,
    TK

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice