1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell password requirement

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jimmcq, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

Hello anyone/everyone,
    Not sure if this is the correct forum but I'll try.
    Some how I got tied into something that requires me to log in with a password when I restart my system after a shut down. The system starts with the logo of a saki bottle, white, ceramic "kitty" with one paw upraised and below is a block for a password. Dell denies requiring anyone to have a password to log on but, I'm stuck with the password requirement. I don't know how I got it but I would like not to have to enter a password.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Jim

2. valis

valis Moderator

sounds like a bios password. When you enter your password, can you get to windows? Can you post a screenshot?

3. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

Hi V,
    We haven't "talked" since this morning and my music is just chugging along as well as my wife's but, now she tells me, she can go days without an interruption.
    With the password problem, entering the password and hitting enter I go directly to my desk top, not much to get a screen shot of.
    Jim

4. valis

valis Moderator

Whats the make and model again? As you have the password this should be an easy fix (famous last words).

5. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

V,
    Odd that the forum didn't bring that up. Dell Inspiron 2305, Win 7
    Jim

6. valis

valis Moderator

Nah, Im just on a tablet instead of mylaptop and dont have full functionality. Thats myfault not the forums. :)

Let m see what I candig up. It will probably tomorrow am though.

Thanks,

v

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  8. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

Frank,
    Wow!! Its amazing that the techs I encountered while I was still under warranty couldn't direct me to this page and didn't know that the password on boot was enabled by default. Not sure how my wife's identical but year younger system got away with out the P/W requirement. Going into set up as soon as I send this. I've been there before so I'm not too concerned.
    Jim

9. valis

valis Moderator

Frank's got amazing google-fu....:D

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  11. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

Frank<
    You lost me, :D :p. No clue, man.
    Jim

12. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

Frank,
    Arrgh! My electronics hate me! My microwave died last night! I thought that it might be associated with the door opener button that I repaired about 2 weeks ago but no such luck. I opened it up and from a semi-layman's view every thing seems ok at least all of the switches open and close. The timer starts but the magnetron doesn't energize. When I get done with this reply I'll shop on line for a new microwave, this one is 10 years old.
    Back to the password problem.. I went back to set up and the three passwords I can find, BIOS, system and administrator, are all disabled. Where else could there be a password that is so early in the login process?
    Jim

13. valis

valis Moderator

Have you checked your start up list in msconfig?

14. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

Frank,
    Little help please, how do I go about that? But wouldn't anything I look for have to be Dell related?
    At least I'm on the way to fixing my microwave. Found a bad micro switch in the door. Frustrating, switch costs $2.63 but shipping is $6.50!
    Please let me know how to go about checking the start up list.
    Jim

15. jimmcq

jimmcq Thread Starter

Frank,
    My last reply should have been directed to Valis. Sorry.
    Jim

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice