1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell PC going into sleep mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmcg69, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

Hi people, I have two dell machines one at work and one at home. When left for around 1 hour they go into standby and never come back out again no matter what i do. The monitor light just stays on orange and no longer green. This means i have to power the machine down by holding the on/off button.

Sometime the machines can come out of standby but not often.

Has anyone any idea what might be causing this, seems to be a Dell only thing?

Thanks

2. WiiZARD

WiiZARD

Go to "Control Panel > Power Options", then on the first tab (Power Schemes) you should see a drop-down menu labeled "System standby". Make sure that the drop-down menu reads "Never" then Apply the changed settings and click OK.

I also have a DELL (Dimension 8400) and I once accidentally put my system to sleep and I had exactly the same problem as you. ie. I couldn't "wake up" the system to go straight back into Windows, I had to hold the power button and start it up again.

3. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

thanks for your reply but the setting for system standby in currently set to never. I have no idea why its still doing it, even on both pcs!

4. pc911

pc911

I have been experiencing the same issue on my new dell PC. It is actually quite annoying and I have yet to correct the issue. If I discover some way to resolve the problem I will post it here.

5. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

Have you guys tried to contact Dell? If it is a brand new computer there should be a phone line you can call for tech support? I have googled your problem and it looks like there are a lot of people with the same problem. I can't find any answers.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I don't know if your setting are going to be exactly like the attached pic, but try to set your power scheme as shown in the pic and see if that solves your problem.

Be sure after you make your choices to click APPLY, then click OK.

Attached Files:

7. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

What OS do you guys have on the PC? I was looking online and a lot of people say this happens when you have Vista.

8. pc911

pc911

Yes, I do have windows vista..

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591928