1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell PC not recognizing Dell Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Monach01, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monach01

Monach01 Thread Starter

My daughter has a Dell Dimensions 2350 running windows XP home edition. She has been having monitor problems. At first she thought it was the monitor because the screen wasn't showing all of the page. It was as though part of the pages she was on were hidden beyond view and the contents were larger than she remembered them being before. She lives 3 hours away so I tried to walk her through adjusting her resolution through the display properties via telephone. She was unable to move the resolution bar or change the color from 16 bit to 32 bit. (it didn't give a 32 bit option at all).

I thought maybe her monitor driver needed to be updated. She had a Dell M990 connected to it. Could not find Dell's M990 listed on their driver support page. She had another Monitor - A Dell E773c. I told her to disconnect the old one and hook up that one. The same thing occurred, screen not large enough for context and unable to change resolution or color.

I also had her check in her Device manager for both monitors when they were connected and no monitor showed at all. Not even a heading for a Monitor. It was as though there was not one installed at all. I tried to have her go through the install hardware wizard and see if it would locate one but nothing shows there either.

She has a CD that came with the computer to reload XP - but she is unable to save all of her photos and music so we want to use reinstalling XP as a last resort. Is there a certain driver, chipset? or "something?" that she can download that will correct this problem without her having to reload her windows? I am assuming it is the PC and not the monitor because the same thing has been consistant with three different monitors, two being Dell, one being Toshiba.

Please advise me of what I need to tell her to do to correct this and if it does mean downloading drivers - do they automatically download where they are suppose to, or do you have to follow instructions for installng them as well? I am only slightly more PC savvy than she is - and that's really saying we're both lost on this. Thanks for your help.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  3. Monach01

Monach01 Thread Starter

Thank you DustyJay for your reply. I am not able to see the computer she has being 3 hours away. Can you tell us what to look for on her computer that will let us know which driver to download and how to uninstall the one that is on there? Will it be under system devices for video card or what? Thanks again for your help.:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/767282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice