1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell PC Tuneup problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JoeE, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeE

JoeE Thread Starter

Last week I had a problem and called Dell Support. Since I had up graded Vista to Windows7 (thru Dell), I had to pay a fee to get the support I needed.
    While corrected the problem that I called, the tech said that I needed to get rid of CCleaner and AVG as they were no good and could damage my computer. He took the CCleaner off before I could stop him. I refused to let him touch AVG pro as he was trying to sell me a $256 version of McAfee. I reluctantly agreed to let him install PC tuneup which he. OK, I've been a Dell customer for more than 15 years and if it keeps the PC running, great.

Nothing but trouble since!!
    I have several corruptions occuring...for example in trying to print excel or word documents to Nitro PDF, I get "a fatal error inside twain manager (exception code Ox00000fd) Twain Functions are Disabled.
    When I tried to create a PDF from Nitro importing excel or word documents (as I have done many times before this weekend) I get "Could not open TWAIN devices 'cannonMX7600 Ser"

Well, I just go back with a restore and fnd that doesn't work either, I get "System restory failed to restore C:\Windows with its original copy at the restore point. Unspecified error 0x80081a90."

Before I call and raise hell with Dell - that is if you can get a human - Has anyone else run into this kind of problem with this product.
    I am using a Dell XPS 420 (a year and a half old) with a new hard drive and windows 7 OS, 32-bit.

Would appreciate any advice.:(

2. Hughv

Hughv

Can you provide a better identity for this program? There seem to be several with this generic name.
    In any case, I'm very surprised. I even wonder if this was a Dell Tech at all since the advice was so bad.
    Ccleaner and AVG are excellent programs (Although I prefer MS Security Essentials lately).
    I would certainly remove this program and "Raise Hell..." ASAP.
    Next time you're having problems, post here and we're likely to fix it quickly and for free.

3. JoeE

JoeE Thread Starter

Thanks, Hughv --

The program is Dell PCTuneUp. I have uninstalled the program and raised hell with Dell. They said they would give me my money back.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to resolve conflicts, the biggest of which is getting Word and Excell to print a pdf to NitroPro or convert docs to Nitro or from Nitro import from Word or Excell docs to convert to pdf. Each time I do that operation the Nitro program freezes and shuts down. I have to use CLT-ALT-DEL to close out Nitro. My printer is a Canon MX7600. It's scanner now is malfunctioning.
    I have done the following. Uninstalled DellPCTuneUP. Run REPAIR for MS Office 2007. reinstalled drivers for the MX7600 printer. Uninstalled/reinstalled NitroPro.

Where did you get your CIB?

4. Hughv

Hughv

Vietnam '67-'68, 25th Infantry.
    Not familiar with NitroPro

5. JoeE

JoeE Thread Starter

NitroPro is a pdf creater and player that receives high reviews. I've used it for two + years with good results. I also have message into them.
    I do a lot of pdf converstions from WORD and EXCEL.
    Other problems that all came after I used the DellPCTuneUP. Can't do a system restore, get "unspecified error: 0x80071a90. When I click "Remove Hardware and eject media" I get a dialog "Open Devices and Printers" Can't open Devices and Printers from control panel - just get a blank dialog box with a green bar indicating it's loading. Do not get dialog list of what media can I safely remove.

PS thank you for your service. Had time in the 82nd and Special Forces, but never saw the elephant like you guys -- hoorah.

6. Hughv

Hughv

At this point I'd think about a system repair.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

We got a two week course in Panama before 'Nam (Jungle School) and actually got to eat snakes. Except for the bullets, it was worse than any two weeks in country.
    The Elephant is big, mean, nasty and unpredictable. You didn't miss a thing.

7. JoeE

JoeE Thread Starter

Hughv -
    I solved my problem another way with the help of a Canon printer and a Dell tech. Rather than a system repair, they recommended (after some time reviewing my computer) creating a new user account. We did and all works well. Appartently there was something affecting some drivers in the primary user account. We never found out what caused the conflict.
    Thanks for your advice.

8. Hughv

Hughv

Interesting.
    Thanks for the info.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!