Dell PE2800, SBS 2003, Symantec AV

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

YaoWing

I am trying to setup a brand new server:
Dell PowerEdge 2800 - 3.2 Xeon, 2 gb RAM, Perc RAID 5 with (3) 140gb HD, Microsoft SBS standard with Service Pack 1, and Symantec AntiVirus Corp Ed 10.

I have tried to setup this server out of the box and then by reinstalling SBS. Both times I encounter problems which may or may not be related. Both times on setting up the server, once the network info was entered, I performed a Windows Update.

Problem 1) Symantec Antivirus has problems installing. If I use the install method - at the define Symantec Server Group dialog window, nothing happens when I click next. I can install it by using deploy but LiveUpdate does not work and it give me an error LU1804 - LiveUpdate cannot get enough memory. I have spent 2 days with Symantec trying to figure it out including deleting temp files, uninstalling using NoNav, reinstalling LiveUpdate and testing permissions with Testsec.

Problem 2) I can not access Disk Management - it says something like unable to open logical disk manager

Problem 3) When running a windows update in IE, it seems to get stuck on checking for updates. I waited 15 minutes and it was still checking for updates. I am able to close IE.

The last thing I tried was to uninstall the Windows Security updates after service pack 1 - no luck - same problems.

The next thing I am going to try is to reinstall SBS and not do a Windows Update.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Was burnin time paid for with this server? Almost sounds like defecitve hardware based on the number of different types of errors your getting. Have you ran any hardware diagnostics on this? What types of things are showing in the event viewer?

What you describe is the same as my problem.
SBS R2

I have exactly the same issues, plus MSDE fails ti install, so I cant install Backup Exec.
Did anyone ever find a solution?
I have already re-installed twice, and got same probleams.
Fujitsu Siemens also changed the motherboard.
3 weeks on this so far.
Any help much appreciated.

I had the exact same problem and discovered it to be a permissions issue. This is what happened:

Had a current Windows 2000 Server DC server1.domain.local.
Was setting up a new Windows 2003 Small Business Server server2.domain.local
Found that even though I was logged into server2 as Administrator, I did not have domain admin rights (thank you BackupExec pre-installation check).

I unplugged the network card on the new server from the network and rebooted. Logged in and everything worked okay. After logging in, it should be okay for you to plug the server back into the network.

did disconnecting from the old dc really fix everyone's problems? i am having the exact same issues only it is an NT4 PDC on the network that can't go away because of old apps. i can't run LiveUpdate or install Symantec System Center, Disk Management won't run, and ntbackup did work at one time but won't now(hangs on Shadow Copy).

On the SBS 03 Server i get Event ID's 12302 and 8914 when atempting NTBACKUP and NetBT errors every 15 to 20 minutes

On the NTSERVER PDC i get 5723 and 5513 Netlogon errors every 15 minutes

well, it worked. can someone please explain what's going on. :confused: i was logging on as the administrator, ntbackup was using administrator to run a nughtly backup, liveupdate wasn't getting enough memory, and i couldn't open Disk Management among other problems all because there was a master browser election from an nt domain?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts