Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dell Plugged in but not charging

539 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Goddess-Bastet 
#1 ·
I've had this issue with my Dell laptop for months now where it says that it is "plugged in, not charging." Usually the way I'd fix it is I play around with the cord or i remove the battery and drain the residual power from the laptop. Also, uninstalling the battery thingy in the device manager. However, lately none of these methods have worked and the laptop hasn't charged for 4 days now. I'm really screwed because my mom's gonna kill me, any type of help or assistance is much appreciated, thank you in advance.

#2 ·
Usually what has happened in case like this is the laptop's charging port jack is starting to come loose from the motherboard which causes tiny cracks in the solder joints. Sometimes if you can wiggle it just right, or hold it in a certain position it will work ... for a while ... or until it doesn't any more.

The way to fix it is to repair or replace the jack. On some laptops the manufactures have made it fairly easy with a replaceable jack. On others you have to remove the motherboard in order to get both sides of it so you can remove and replace the damaged jack.

In order to be able to supply further help would require knowing your Dell Laptop's exact model number. With that in hand we may be able to help you figure out how to proceed from here.

#3 ·
You can frequently search for a video on replacing the power jack by using the make and model of the laptop. I've done that and replaced a few on Toshiba, Asus, and Dell laptops.

#4 ·
The Power connector on dells are really easy to replace and they cost from $8-15 depending on the part. Can you please provide the service tag on the device? If you can’t see it on the bottom of the machine then you can find it in the BIOS. Also in the BIOS you can find the battery information which will tell you what the state of the battery is. You may need to replace that too

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.