1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell - plugged in, not charging

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MarsMcKay, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarsMcKay

MarsMcKay Thread Starter

I've recently had a few problems with my Dell Laptop. It says "plugged in, not charging". A couple times it started charging again randomly, but it hasn't in a while so my battery life keeps decreasing. I'm at 13% right now so I have to be careful to not knock the cord out or my computer will completely die. I'm not sure if I need a new battery or charger or what? I've been looking online for help and it seems quite a few people are having similar problems with their Dell laptops but it doesn't look like anybody else can figure it out either. I've noticed that people are buying new chargers and batteries and the problem is still there so I've held off on purchasing them as I don't want to pay for something that most likely isn't going to help.
    About a week ago, when my laptop was actually charging for some unknown reason, it kept shutting off without warning while I was doing whatever. It would turn on just fine, but every 15-20 minutes or so it would turn off. This happened about 3 or 4 times. My laptop has shut down in the past but never that frequently and it was usually do to overheating, but on this particular day it was random and for no reason.
    I reaaaaaaally don't want to have to buy a new laptop right now, so if someone could help me figure out what is wrong with this one that would be awesome :)

2. Bradthecru

Bradthecru

I had a similiar issue with an HP laptop. If you haven't already, make sure the BIOS is up to date. When I contacted HP about mine, they said that it was a known issue and the BIOS update would fix it. I will say in mine, it didn't, but that is still something to look at.

That situation with my laptop typically happened if I let the battery die completely, then the next time it turned on, I would get that same message. Now to the fix on how I would get the battery to start charging again. I will say this will probably sound very weird, but it is something I read online that worked for multiple people. First, clean the battery contacts. Next, shut down the laptop, and pop the battery in and out about 30 times really fast. When I did this on mine, I simply held the battery release and popped it in and out. Turn on the laptop with the battery connected. Sometimes that will fix the problem. If it doesn't however, with the laptop on and running in Windows, pop the battery in and out really fast about 30 times again. After that, in my case, the battery would always show as charging again.

Once again, I know this sounds really weird, but it worked for me.

3. MarsMcKay

MarsMcKay Thread Starter

I tried it and the charger light would flicker orange for a couple seconds, turn blue, then go out. I did this a few times and it did the same thing each time.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop was released almost 5 years ago. Its battery doesn't last forever. You may also have an issue with the power adapter connection.

------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice