1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell: Plugged in, not charging

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LukaRad27, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LukaRad27

LukaRad27 Thread Starter

Hi there, I have had my Dell for one year now with no problems, but all of a sudden it is not charging. It started on and off saying plugged in, not charging and now it says that permanently. This laptop is very important and as a college student I really can't afford it to be serviced. I tried a lot of the online suggestions and nothing worked. Thank you in advance!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi LukaRad27, and welcome to TSG.

Unless you tell us all of the things you have tried nobody here, unless they have clairvoyant powers, will know what other things they can suggest to solve your problem.

Your symptoms sound like your Dell laptop is not able to communicate with your charger to authenticate it as being a genuine Dell charger.

3. LukaRad27

LukaRad27 Thread Starter

Hi yes, I apologize for not being explicit enough. I have tried restarting my computer, shutting it down and plugging it out. I removed the battery and held the power key to remove residual power. I tried to clean the inside of the plug. I got the laptop with the plug and have used it for a year. Problems only started in the past 24 hours. The battery is also in excellent condition based on my BIOS.

Thank you!

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I did a bit of online research on this a short while ago when a coworker's personal Dell laptop was giving the same charger connected but not charging warning.

A small number of people claimed they solved the problem by updating the BIOS to the latest version. The problem was that the charger had to be connected and the battery near full charge to permit the update. Some people had run their batteries down to the point that the update was prevented.

Most found that replacing the charger resolved the problem. The actual problem was in the plug going to the laptop or the cord right next to the plug. The flexing of the cord would damage the communications link from the laptop to the charger. The connection is through the very small diameter pin in the center of the plug. My coworker was able to purchase a non-Dell brand charger at a local office supply store. The charger was labeled as being compatible with his specific Dell laptop series and had the correct plug and ID chip.

For a small number of people, the BIOS update and new charger did not solve the problem. The usual problem in that case was a damaged power jack in the laptop or a broken soldered connection between the jack and the motherboard.

If your laptop is still under warranty, you should contact Dell about the problem and their recommended solution. If it is out of warranty, see if you can borrow a Dell charger from someone with a Dell laptop that uses the same charger and see if it allows your battery to charge. Otherwise, you could try to find a store that sells the Dell or compatible charger and will allow you to return it if it does not correct the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice