1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Power Adapters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nicknefarious, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicknefarious

nicknefarious Thread Starter

Hi all,

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am in China and recently had my Dell Power Adapter stolen for my XPS M1530 laptop. I contacted Dell here in China and they took four days to advise me they were having "some problems" processing my credit card and that it would take one to two weeks from when it was actually processed to deliver the adapter. I chose to reject their offer.

The market here in Dongguan, Guangdong has Dell resellers and some of them offered to supply adapters for me on the spot but the prices varied so widely I was very suspicious. I am going to Hong Kong in a couple of days and will try my luck there.

What I want to know is how to find out exactly which adapters are suitable for my laptop. My Dell order has a part number but it seems to bear absolutely no correlation to any part numbers displayed on the adapters. Is there any way of telling if they are fake? Am I able to use different adapters with my Dell PC (like adapters for different Dell laptops?) - I know companies like Dell tell you specifically not to do this but I am thinking this is merely to trap you into buying their products again. I actually had one of the guys in the market put his 85 Chinese RMB ($10 USD) adapter on the multimeter and the voltage output was spot on. What is important? Voltage, current, frequency, power?

In short any advice about power adapters and the problems and risks involved with not buying directly from Dell would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Nick

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I would be incredibly cautious buying a power adapter in a market in Asia. The risk of counterfeit and, frankly, dangerous components is very high. I'd suggest giving Dell a call back and working out the problems with your credit card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice