1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Power Supply, causing problems starting PC !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by craftee, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. craftee

craftee Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

My Dell New Inspiron 620 MT (13 months old) is causing me problems getting it fired up.

It began as an intermittent problem, which I put down to the actual switch, as it's a bit wobbly.

I took the wires off the switch and extended them to outside the casing, so I could just touch them together to start the PC.

This worked sometimes.

I have now realised it was not the switch.

If I try to start the PC it doesn't respond.

If I unplug the PC from the mains, leave it about 15/20 mins, then plug it back in, first press of the button it starts.:confused:

I don't know how the Power Supply is linked to the start up procedure, but I'm guessing I need a new PSU.

Hopefully someone out there can confirm my suspicions and advise where the best place is to get a new PSU from.

Regards,

Paul

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I would first question why you even extended the wires. As if it was new, it was under warranty. You could have had it serviced and fixed for free.

In any event, too late now. Even if it's still under warranty, they likely will not honor it. There are three components for power up: 1) the switch 2) the motherboard 3) the power supply

The most likely fault would be the power supply. But the only way to know for sure is to swap it out and test.

3. craftee

craftee Thread Starter

Hi there,

It is "just" out of warranty, so I'm sure Dell will not do anything for free.

Regards,

Paul

4. Electronmick

Electronmick

The observations you describe clearly point to a component failure within the power supply.
    In answer to” how the power supply is linked to the start up procedure” On plugging your computer into and switching on at the mains socket, the power supply immediately provides a low power 5v start up supply to the motherboard, and this should remain present at the motherboard whether the computer is on/ off or in standby mode.
    When you press the start up button this provides a signal via the motherboard to the power supply which triggers the power supply into providing the 5v high current supply to the motherboard and all other supplies required by the computer’s hardware.
    The fact that the computer will start up following disconnection from the mains for a short period of time, allowing a cooling off period, suggests to me that the start up 5v supply is probably failing after reaching a critical temperature.

Note: Many computer users believe that when they switch off their computer using the windows software it actually switches off the mains to the computer, it doesn’t.
    The PSU remains still active providing this low power 5v start up supply to the motherboard.

5. craftee

craftee Thread Starter

Hi Electronmick,

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply.

I will get a new power supply and fit it.

One more question, how do I identify which power supply to buy.

The most common seem to be ATX but there are loads of different ratings, from 350 to 750 watts.

Does it make much difference.

Regards,

Paul

6. Electronmick

Electronmick

Hi Paul
    Purchasing the computer from new, with no modifications it will have a 300W ATX power supply. To confirm this there should be a label somewhere on one of the sides of the PSU giving the type and model number which will include its maximum power rating.
    It is entirely up to you whether you replace it with a unit of similar power rating or go for a higher rated output.
    Many would argue that now would be the time to pay a little extra and buy a higher rated power supply (future proofing) to allow you to upgrade, for example, the graphics card, to a faster higher performance graphics card. However unless you are into the latest state of the art gaming there would be little point in doing this as your present card is quite capable of giving you excellent graphics in general use.
    Since you purchased the Mini Tower version of the Dell Inspiron 620, space will be limited as to what will fit into the cabinet when up grading. Likewise you will have to make sure that the replacement power supply you purchase (if not purchased from Dell) is designed to fit the 620 MT cabinet.

Regards Mick

7. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  8. craftee

craftee Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your comprehensive replies.

I've found the SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX in the UK but it is fairly expensive.

Would a less expensive one suffice?

Regards,

Paul

9. replay

replay

10. replay

replay

11. craftee

craftee Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all your advice.

I've got a Corsair PSU on Order from Amazon.co.uk

I'll let you know when it's fitted.

Thanks again.

Paul

12. craftee

craftee Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I'm TOTALLY confused now :confused: :confused: :confused:

I bought a Corsair PSU, from Amazon and fitted it.......................

Nothing happened PC will not start up at all.

Figured I "might" have got a DOA unit, so sent it back and popped my original Dell PSU back in, and I'm back to square one, working, but only if I disconnect the PSU when I'm not using the PC.

I then bought a basic PSU from Maplin and fitted it.......................

Nothing happened PC will not start up at all.

Took it out, popped my original Dell PSU back in, and I'm back to square one, working, but only if I disconnect the PSU when I'm not using the PC.

I just have no idea what's going on, does the Dell PC have "special" PSU requirements?

I look forward to receiving any ideas you may have.

Regards,

Paul.

13. replay

replay

did u connect the 20/24 pin power plug on the motherboard AND the 4 pin power plug (near the cpu)????

14. craftee

craftee Thread Starter

Yes, Sorry I did both of those connectors and 1 to the hard drive and 1 to the DVD drive.

Paul

15. craftee

craftee Thread Starter

Hi again,

Forgot to mention that there is an LED on the motherboard, which lights up with ALL of the PSU's so power is going somewhere.

Paul

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice