1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Poweredge 2950 RAM upgrade, which slots ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lentil, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lentil

lentil Thread Starter

I have been roped into upgrading a Dell Poweredge 2950 by adding a couple of RAM DIMMs, only having ever played with PC's before I downloaded the manual and all appears straightforward apart from the memory slots.

The memory module sockets are divided into two equal branches (0 and 1). Each branch consists of two
    channels:

Channel 0 and channel 1 are in branch 0.
    Channel 2 and channel 3 are in branch 1.

Channel 0 contains DIMM_1, DIMM_5.
    Channel 1 contains DIMM _2, DIMM_6.
    Channel 2 contains DIMM_3, DIMM_7.
    Channel 3 contains DIMM _4, DIMM _8.
    Each channel consists of two DIMM sockets:

Apparently the server has 2 x DIMMs already fitted, but I don't know where, all fun. So where to fit the additional RAM ?, My guess would be to fit it in the unused branch thinking it will maximize RAM bandwidth, but that's only a guess, can anyone advise ? Also anything else I need to change eg in the BIOS or is it pretty much plug and play ?

Cheers

Lentil

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

There should already be RAM installed in the DIMM_1 and DIMM_2 slots if configured according to instructions in the manual. It looks like you will want to install the new RAM in slots DIMM_3 and DIMM_4. You should not need to change anything in the BIOS.

3. lentil

lentil Thread Starter

Thanks for that, this is in a league above what I have done before, I appreciate the help

4. lentil

lentil Thread Starter

Anything else I should look out for ?, got the whole thing about ant-static, removing the cooling shroud and waiting for the memory to cool ...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041611