1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Precision 450 suddenly died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jgntride, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jgntride

jgntride Thread Starter

I left my office (at home) for a short time and when i returned, my computer was off and there were no led indicator lights illuminated as they usually are. It will not power up at all. The light on the power button illuminates, but nothing else (externally at least, there are two led lights on the motherboard which come on when plugged in). I have removed all accessories, bypassed the UPS, tried several outlets without any success. Removed memory, CD & DVD, hard drive and still nothing. It is totally unresponsive. It is my business computer and I really need to solve this.

2. Hughv

Hughv

Get the Power Supply tested.

3. jgntride

jgntride Thread Starter

Can I do this with a multimeter? I'm 150 miles from the nearest city with any resources. After staying up most of the night reading posts in the hardware forums, it appears this is going to be either the motherboard or the power supply. I'd like to have a definitive diagnosis before bending over for Dell.

4. Hughv

Hughv

Well, you should be getting 12V and 5V, but you'd also need to test it under load.
    Testers are available at places like Office Depot and Tiger Direct.
    You don't have to go to Dell for a PS.
    http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/

5. jgntride

jgntride Thread Starter

I've got a new PS & Mobo on their way. Hate to give Dell more $$ (their refurbished mobo was 4 times what other online vendors were asking), but it is my main business workhorse and I have to get back up & running. Haven't ruled out buying another mobo and returning the original parts to Dell if it turns out to be just the motherboard. If it weren't for the hours & hours of software re-installation and customization, I probably would have just bought a new machine.

Thanks for the replies. Hope my next post will be "solved". This is a great site w/ a wealth of info. Glad I found it.

6. jgntride

jgntride Thread Starter

Well I didn't have to wait very long. After ordering parts from a Dell sales rep and being told they were in stock and would be shipping the next day, I get a computer generated telephone call the day I'm expecting delivery informing me the parts are on back order. Emailed Dell a nice love letter then canceled my order.

Just an FYI to anyone considering a Dell product. You may get some aggravation to go with your product.

7. Compiler

Compiler

Why many of us DON'T buy Dell or other name brands. Build our own, replace any part we want.

A typical board that is better than a Dell is about $75~90. A good PSU starts at $35 (430 watt thermaltake), etc

8. jgntride

jgntride Thread Starter

I'll probably take Compiler's advice next time I need a computer. The upside to all of this is learning how easy adding/removing & replacing the hardware is.

Got the new motherboard in and powered up within about an hour. Just about everything is back to normal. However, during start up, I am prompted to enter setup or press F1 to continue. I get a message stating that the primary hard drive is not found, yet it is clearly there as all the software & data are accessible after it boots. I did pull the SCSI drive and temporarily install it (and the adapter card) into an older gateway to retrieve data while waiting for the replacement mobo. Now I'm not sure how to address this start up issue. I'm going to surf other threads and maybe post a new one if I cannot find the answer.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice