1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dell printer for non dell computer??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IBM, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IBM

IBM Thread Starter

Can anyone suggest a way to get a dell 770 printer to work on a non dell win98 system?

My friend was given the printer from his friends, but it's a dell and it's pretty muh brand new so he doesn't want to throw it away. It's also better than his current printer :p

Anyway, he uses the dell install disk but once it begins and runs the setup app it gives a message akin to pirating. Saying something like -this computer does not support dell , or something like - this computer is not a dell.

Can anyone offer advice. I did a search on google and dells' site and here.
    I couldn't quite find anything that might lead me to an answer..?

2. Sponsor

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What Dell install disk is he using? I'm not familiar with the new Dell branded printers, but I think another company is producing them, although I could be wrong. I see no reason why it shouldn't work on any system.

4. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

i use driverguide to find drivers that will work with my computer. i would search under printers>dell> your model number. look for your operating system and a driver with a good rating. that usually works.
    or you could plug the printer in, click add printer, and then select one for yourself from the database and choose generic printer.

5. IBM

IBM Thread Starter

Thank you Aca and iXn :)

I'll find out tonight what cd he is using.
    As well I'll also go over there and try to intall the myself. Driver guide sounds like an excellent place to get the right drivers for this printer.

Thank you both.
    I'll be back with an update. ;)

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

I would try DELL's website before driverguide for a driver - maybe its just something specific on the CD. I think DELL uses Lexmark for its printers.

7. ~Candy~

Thanks Triple, I think you are correct. They have only been doing printers for a while.

By the way, IBM, I can't find that model addressed anywhere.......or I'm looking in the wrong place.

8. ~Candy~

9. IBM

IBM Thread Starter

Thanks.

The printer CD is the install disk.
    I think I've found the problem.

The manual says this printer, which is the dell 720 printer -sorry for the wrong model number earlier, supports both Win2k and WinXP.

So, I guess that rules out Win98SE.
    The question now becomes, can I get this printer to work on win98?

If not then that's all right. :)

Thanks for the extra info Aca :)
    You learn somethign new everyday.

p.s
    I was on the dell site and found a driver for it, but it won't install.
    The error I get is in polish or german or something so that makes it even harder to figure this out. lol :D

10. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Attached Files:

11. IBM

IBM Thread Starter

Thanks, you found it :D

One big problem with what you're suggesting. Upon bootup, or even login to desktop, nothing happens. No popup telling me new hardware has been found, no auto install of the ponter using generic drivers, nothing..not one peep.

I looked in device manager for the usb port in use and it said it was unknown device. So it doesn't even recognize this printer as a printer...?

Good news is I've since found out that this isn't a usb problem, since 2.0 is back wards compatible..so I'm told. But rather a software issue..and non compatiblity. Some think it has to do with how Win98 is fading away. Something about how the win98 Installer isn't up to date. Another set of good news is that I also found this link:
    http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:433:0:0&os_group=Windows 98&target=
    Which supposedly may allow this printer to work on a win98 system. I have yet to try it but I'm hoping.

Of course, if windows would only recognize the printer in the first place, all of this could be circumvented... Could there be a way to force win98 to see the printer?

Thank you for the help so far :)

p.s
    Every time I try to add a new printer, I get as far as choosing generic printer and local printer. But then a dialog window pops up asking me to choose a port, the selection includes LPT1, COM PRT1, hard drive and something else.. but no USB port.
    It is at this point I cancel the install.

Any ideas about that?

12. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Yes i do. There are usb to "X" adaptors. What i am guessing is win98 does not support usb printers. Now if your printer has the old connectors -- not usb, try using that connection instead. If not try and get a hold of a cheap-- or free- usb to whatever convertor so you can install generic driver for it and than add a printer and select that port.
    Basically these are just educated guesses and may or work b/c below it says its not compatible. we will find out soon.

13. ~Candy~

Is it only USB or can it go parallel too?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Windows 98 does support USB printers, its just DELL being cheap.

A USB to Parallel Adaptor might not work without the proper drivers anyway.

If you look in Device Manager, do you see an Unknown Device or DELL/Lexmark device? The printer must be connected and turned on for it to appear in device manager.

15. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

yah there are various usb to "x" adaptors. if there are generic or universal drivers they may work. if the printer has more than one way to connect try that. i can't gaurantee that this will work because i've only used it for older printers, not newer ones.

16. ~Candy~

Another silly question. Does that computer have ANY USB devices that are currently working?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/279756