1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lonesome_wolf2000, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lonesome_wolf2000

lonesome_wolf2000 Thread Starter

Im working on a Dell L566cx.....

The computer had lots of stuff installed on it, and needed to be cleaned out. The owner wanted it reformatted and restored. I backed up some of his word documents he wanted to save and then proceeded to use the dell recovery cd that came with his computer.........

The recovery cd reinstalled windows only, no programs, no drivers......

No big deal........

Went to dell site downloaded all drivers for the system.......

Installed drivers and some applications he wanted......

Sent him on his way.....

Computer now locks up about 20 mins after you turn it on, it keeps throwing a fit with every program opened. (locks up) no illegal ops yet..... no blue screens yet....... just freezing. It will lock up and then you have to restart the computer. The only thing running at the time is just the programs that are needed. Sometimes it locks up in IE when surfing the net. Sometimes in Word when typing a document. Sometimes in Outlook Express when composing mail. there really isnt any specific instance.

*Please Note*
    The gentleman told me he had bought this computer from dell refurbished. Could it be the motherboard??? Maybe the Recovery CD caused the problem??? Ideas?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I would be more suspicious of the drivers that you installed for some of the hardware.

Also, did you check for any IRQ conflicts?

And this may be a long shot, but are you sure it wasn't doing that BEFORE he brought it to you and didn't tell you and now it's your fault? :eek:

3. lonesome_wolf2000

The computer was doing this before. Thats part of the reason that he brought it to me. Sorry i didn't mention it before....

There are no IRQ conflicts......no signs of hardware conflicting.

Also, I noticed that the modem seemed to have a hard time dialing. When it tried to dial it paused for the longest time....
    so i stuck a new modem in the computer and that problem seemed to go away. The internet seemed to run a lot smoother as well.

Now the guy says that the computer tends to not connect to the internet, that it won't dial at all.

I think I've come to the conclusion that the gentleman is more than likely playing with some settings when he gets it home and is causing these problems himself. I don't know this for sure, but its a pretty good guess.

4. aubry

aubry

i've seen this happen before!(freezing up)
    it could be faulty memory or maybe bad heat transfer between the c.p.u and heatsink.
    chances are, it's something simpler, but it might be worth a look.........try a new stick of ram or apply some heat transfer paste between the c.p.u and heatsink OR get the BIGGEST heatsink and fan you can find and slap that on!

i hate it when customers blame you for existing faults!

I.T would be great if we did'nt have deal with customers!

5. lonesome_wolf2000

Ok, heres the latest:::::

After sticking the new modem in the computer and sending the gentleman on his way, he calls me everyday with the same problem; he cannot connect.

I ask him what it does:

"Sometimes it take 3 or 4 tries to connect"
    or
    "It won't connect at all, then the connecting box stays at "disconnecting""
    or
    "Gets error message 678" i looked this up and it means that the computer he is dailing to is not answering.

Here's what I've tried. I've checked his dial-up settings. The phone numbers / dialing properties are correct. I've checked his modem settings. No conficts, tcp/ip is set properly to use the isp dns servers. He doesn't have call waiting/forwarding/etc.

He did have the phone line on a splitter so that he could use a phone with the computer. I told him to just plug the computer straight into the phone line without the splitter. Still it doesn't connect. I had him call the isp. They walked him through some things, and they said everything should be working. We called the phone company:

"Can he call out on the phone lines?"
    "Yes?"
    "Its not our problem"

I've tried different drivers for the computer as well. Besides the new modem that I put in, had the drivers on a cd that came with it. I used those AND drivers off the internet. Still he seems to get this problem....

Any Ideas?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Could be his phone lines....can you connect from your shop consistently?

7. aubry

aubry

have you tried a temporary isp?
    try setting up a new account with another provider, this way you should be able to narrow down the problem. if you can get a connection with a new isp straight away, you've proved that your work is up to good standards and that it's his isp thats at fault!

8. aubry

aubry

you could also try dialing out with phone dialer. just ring your mobile phone and if you can connect to your phone the modem and other hardware is working!

Is the guy using AOL?

9. gfbrown

gfbrown

10. lonesome_wolf2000

I checked some of the posts on dell. and none seemed to match my current problem.

I did notice that in phone dialer, the computer was trying to use the old modem...

I of course switched this to the new modem and then tried to dial a phone. It completed the call. With no errors.

I walked the gentleman through this on the phone and had him use phone dialer to call me at the shop. When he did this my phone rang. So, apparently his computer is dialing out and making it to its destination.

The error code he usually gets in his connection problems is
    Error 678: a.k.a. No answer. I wondered if this isnt the ISP.
    I told the gentleman it could be his local ISP that is causing the problem. He then told me that it would be impossible for him to switch to another provided b/c he does all his business through email and internet. Thus the account is with the ISP. I know that he could probably switch very easily, however, he doesn't want to go through with the pain of switching.

My Next Step will be to have the gentleman bring his computer back into me and see if I experience any of the problems here at the shop.... If I do, then obviously it is something with the computer and I will try another ISP. If I do not, however, then I'm not sure what else to try.

This doesnt seem like a cpu/memory problem. He would have other things going wrong. The phone lines apprently work. The modem apparently works, plus it is brand new. ...?...

Ideas?

11. aubry

aubry

very good chance on his isp is the problem

setup a test account with a free isp!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice