1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by walkinman86, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. walkinman86

walkinman86 Thread Starter

I am looking to upgrade a Dell E520. I plan on replacing the stock pentium D with a Q6700 cpu.
    My question however is about the psu. I would like to put in a 750 W power supply and will opt for a Dell unit. which series of psus can I use? Is any dell psu interchangable with any other? Or, do I need to stay within a particular product family. If they are not all interchangeble, where do I go to find a list of units that will work with the E-520?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think the Cpu upgrade will work but, if it's not already using the latest Bios, don't forget to upgrade to the latest Bios with the old Cpu still installed first.

Why do you want to upgrade the PSU ? I doubt only upgrading the Cpu will increase the power needed much.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I highly doubt you would ever find a 750W dell pw supply unless it was in a large server and those are not going to have the connections you would need. Even the dell xps only came with a 460W [I think]

If you are intending to install the pw supply so you can install a high end video card, do be aware that there is more to a gaming system than just the video card. ALL of the parts have to work together to achieve decent performance.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    This appears to be the motherboard that comes in the Dell Dimension E520 desktop.

According to its specs, it does not support Intel Core 2 Quad processors.

Attached Files:

5. walkinman86

Thanks Manage. I know the cpu swap will work as it's been done any number of times on the E-520. Most have gone with the 6600, but the 67 is way better on power. The BIOS will almost undoubtedly have to be upgraded; I'm hoping to have Dell do it, but don't know.
    I also know that theres a decent chance of frying the mb in the process, (kind of glad e-520s are all over). I've seen quite a few Dell XPS PSUs , tested and working , in the 600 to 750W range.
    No CJ DRIVER, I have zero interest in gaming.... about as much as I have in TV. Zilch. I am however building a high end rig on a 1366 socket for doing a lot of audio stuff, and etc,etc. If I were going to try to overclock, I certainly wouldn't be using that rig, no.
    I just needed to know at what point Dell discontinued using proprietory PSUs, what model families used standard. Thankyou all for the help thus far.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You should be able to update the Bios yourself if you take care. I shudder to think what Dell would charge for doing it !

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, this makes absolutely no sense;
    The Q6700 that you referenced is a socket 775 and NOT a 1366.
    Next if you are building a system, why go with parts that are 8yr old and already reached EOL??? It makes no sense to me.
    If you are building a system, you use parts that are at least still supported.

8. walkinman86

What doesn't make sence CJ? If you read carefully, you should notice that we are talking about a 2nd computer.
    A) I want to dick around with the e-520 because it's fun and inexpensive...under 50 bucks.
    B) I am in the process of building a rig as follows:Enclosure :Antec 1200 V3; MB: ASUS Sabertooth X-15
    CPU: Intel I7-950, (1366 socket); Heatsink: ASUS triton 88. Ram: probably 12gb ddr3, maybe the full 24gb, (though I see no reason to go so high for my purposes); PSU: Shark 100W, 80+.

So you see, CJ, we are talking about 2 entirely different computers here... one sublime, one DEFINITELY not.
    If you're curious why I would opt for an older Bloomfield processor instead of a Gulftown or Sandy bridge, well, do the research. the 950 outperforms , or is at least equal to the 2 hex cores, with better power utilization.
    Now can anyone answer my original question regarding the Dell PSUs?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to build with 6yr old tech, that is up to you. As for performance, just look at the pw requirements. i7 950 uses 130W vs a modern 4790K which uses 88W to run at a faster speed.

Your question has already been answered
    You will never find a 750W dell pw supply unless you go to a server mb and that does not have the correct connectors.
    As for proprietary units, as long as you have a 24pin pw connector AND you do not have a 6pn connector with 3 black wires and 3 orange wires, you have a standard pw supply.

10. walkinman86

You don't get it CJ. Some of us actually do things for shits and giggles. Kinda like dropping a 427cui into an old vega. I'm doing the old e-520 , because I can, it won't cost anything, and I have the rig, new cpu, (yes, a 775 socket), already on hand.
    As far as my choice of cpus for the other rig, ( for which I certainly did not ask for nor need any help), I suggest you go look at some of the benchmark data out there. I REALLY have no need to waste my time doing something nonsensical like gaming. I have been in the REAL theater; why would I opt for a hollow vicarious wannabe thrill PLAYING war????
    As far as "any 24 pin connector", I am also aware that for a period of time, Dell did use standard 24 pin connecters on some of their proprietory PSUs; they just "rearranged" the wires. Hence, unless I feel motivated to fry a perfectly good albeit antiquated mb by sending the wrong voltages to the wrong places, it rather behooves me to find out which ones.
    SO, to simplify my question even further, does ANYONE out there happen to know with which product family did Dell cease using proprietary PSUs??????? OR to put it another way, by the time Dell began production of the e-520 and dual core processors, were they using standard PSUs exclusively?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you have your answer. If you cannot look to see the connector described, then no one can help you.

12. walkinman86

Say MANAGE, I hit the dell forums but there's no info that I could find as yet regarding the psu compatibility issue. I know damned well theres an answer out there somewhere. As far as upgrading the BIOS, I'm pretty much of the same mind. I do believe I can do it myself, (but don't like the idea of toasting marshmellows over the mb too much), and do believe that Dell would want way more than the task is worth for an old pig like the e-520.
    I'll keep looking, but any ideas or info you might turn up is very much appreciated.
    By the way, I love the subscripts: "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Sir Terry Pratchett, 28/4/1948 to 12/3/2015, RIP
    Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
    I was kinda of warm once; knees to nipples, Kentucky Fried. Five sets of skin grafts. The grafts alone will get you to love the brighter side of dope. About the only thing that wasn't cooked was the old package; if that was, I do believe I just would have taken the pistol and had a little mid-brain target practice.lol

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Have you made any progress ?

Glad you like my 'sig' quotes but very sorry to hear about your burns etc. that can't have been much fun to say the least.
    Still, at least your 'package' arrived safely. ;)

14. walkinman86

Hey , thanks for the sentiment Manage. The burns however are old history now. I may never forget that time , but today it's like discussing the fall of the Roman Empire.
    Anyway, I do believe CRJ may have given me the answer I needed, ("AND you do not have a 6pn connector with 3 black wires and 3 orange wires, you have a standard pw supply").
    Best of luck and prosperity to you both, and THANKYOU. I'll keep an eye out for your posts Allan.

15. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, good to hear you feel that way now and good luck with all the computing related stuff. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice