Dell..questions about

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ChfTx

Have a chance to get a Dell Computer. Pentium III 876 MHz. I've heard Dell is is very proprietary. I'd like to install my hard drive (40 Gig Maxtor), and need some more RAM....it's got only 64 MB. It has Win 98 Me installed. I've got an HP Vector 180 MB RAM 300 Mhz with Win 98.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated....and hints also.

Thanks

Hard drives and ram are not Dell proprietary and can be replace easily. The computer in general will be much better than you current one even without the upgrades. I would upgrade back to Win98se rather than stick with ME. Personal opinion-others may not agree!

Yup Dell is picky. You should have a problem adding a second hard drive, or more ram though.

I do not recommend setting your Maxtor as the primary drive unless you have the dell installation CD that was included with the machine.

Yup Dell is picky. You should have a problem adding a second hard drive, or more ram though.
LOL... Sorry didn't me to scare you. Let me try this again...

Yup Dell is picky, You should NOT have a problem adding a second hard drive, or more ram though.

Thats better

I also agree with Paul that WIN98 is a superior OS over the ME.

WOW.....That was my first pc back in the '80s, but it only had a 102 mb hard drive nd I thought that was HUGE. LOL HP is great in their support, but they suck in getting new parts. I sold it and the guy that bought it tried to install more RAM to it. They said that he would have to buy a $35 disc to upgrade his BIOS. I never bought another HP. I have worked with DELLS and I never had problems swapping out ram or hard drives, but of course everything involved was really old anyway.

For OS either go 98SE, 2000, or XP. Stay away from ME. And about the harddrive/RAM installation -- I worked on a DELL once that would NOT work with a new hdd, and the old one was corrupted. I could NOT install Windows/Office 2000 or any AOL version higher then 4.0(for a client). It was a pain, and frankly, embarressing as I can still not figure out a solution.

IF i were you, i'd install your new OS on the new hdd, and unplug your old one. That way if it doesnt work, just plug the old one back in.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online