1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell refurbished

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bht5000, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bht5000

bht5000 Thread Starter

hi

i have a dell 1721.

I paid for a new computer but i have reason to belive that they sent me a refubished one and called it new.

i have found files dating back to 06 and 05 when there computer was bought in 07. how do i prove that the computer was sent refurbished. and if its not refurbished why are there files dating back 2 years before i bought it. i even found windows NT on my computer. But my OS is vista

thanks

BT

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The file dates are the creation dates, and that depends on when the specific file was created. Many files will have an earlier date than the installation date of the application.

3. Diver--13

Diver--13 It's My Birthday!

All Windows Operating systems have NT files on them, it is just some files that they have re-used through out their OS history.

4. hewee

hewee

FPEXT.MSG file in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\40\bin\1033 folder.
    Created: Monday, February 08, 1999, 4:08:08 AM
    Modified: Monday, February 08, 1999, 4:08:08 AM

MSOWS409.DLL in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders folder.
    Created: Sunday, June 06, 1999, 1:09:26 AM
    Modified: Sunday, June 06, 1999, 1:09:26 AM

That is only on a search on files before 7/2/1999 on my new Dell that the software was loaded on Thursday, July 10, 2008, 12:20:38 AM but you still see older dates.

You find 100's of files with old dates. Even when you install programs they can put older Created: and Modified: dates on your computer because it till you what date the file was made and not the date it was installed on your computer.

5. Kinnison

Kinnison

Indeed. as hewee said, this is normal. It is nothing to worry about. If you see any other files that seem to be user created (like unusual mp3s, docs, etc.) that are not related to the operation of existing programs in the PC, then you could start worrying about this. Also, you should look for physical evidence of the computer's new-or-old status. Are there scratches, does everything look new, etc. You could also open the pc case with a screwdriver and see if there is dust inside. Unless if you have already have the pc yourself for more than a month or two, there shouldn't be much dust in there.

6. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    This is not a news article. I'm moving it to Hardware.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice