1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Shock

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by clannie, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clannie

clannie Thread Starter

I bought a new laptop from Dell about a month ago.After loading it up with favourite utilities etc. and uninstalling a lot of junk that came with the laptop, I noticed a plastic lever sticking out on the left hand side.When I tried to push it back in it would not locate and came straight back out.I phoned Dell and they had the laptop uplifted,now I have received an email from them to say that the motherboard has been physically damaged and not covered by the systems warranty therefore payment of £500 + vat is required.I just do not know what I can do now.The laptop cost was £430 paid on June 14th by Egg credit card.I will try and attach the said email.Please can anyone advise me on what to do next. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

1. dont buy dell.
    2. take it to em and shove it in their face, demand they refund.

3. clannie

clannie Thread Starter

Forgot to say that this was my reply

Attached Files:

4. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

wow, that should work. DELL are so bad (n) :mad:

5. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hi clannie :)

Sounds like a bad deal for you.
    I'd suggest using the phone # on that first Dell email and having a calm talk with this Harvey guy and if that does not resolve it, ask to speak to his supervisor and see if you can find a more reasonable person to talk to.

good luck....

6. wacor

wacor Banned

Did you buy this using the Dell account or with a Visa or Mastercard ??

If Visa or Mastercard contact the charge company about filing a complain. There would be a form to send in and then typically they put the money in escrow until Dell responds and then they will judge from there.

Then get the Dell presidents name and write him directly. I had a long drawn out battle on a rebate that i could never even get a response on until i wrote the president. Threaten that you will contact the state attourney generals office and filing a complaint with them

7. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

Well this just backs up my belief that Dell are incompetent...

8. screamoon

screamoon

Fact1) Dell is not a manufacturer
    Fact2) Dell assembles parts from various other hardware vendors
    Fact3) You can get a system replacement in this case. If you want more info on how to do that then feel free to message me anytime.

PS: I have worked with DELL for quite sometime.

9. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

The first and last time I've ever contacted Dell was via telephone and I spoke to a male person of Indian heritage judging by his voice, he repeatedly tried to sell me a certain product after I said no to him... Quite funny really.

"Well really you want to go with this product as it is much better and only costs £200 more"... Okay:D

10. clannie

clannie Thread Starter

Well thanks for all replies I have pm'd screamoon,but as for Dell a new email apologising for tone of last email but still same message,if I want it fixed they want £500 even though the laptop is 4 weeks old.Uploading email if you want to be amused.Where to go from here?I just dont know,but I will not be asking Dell to repair it and I really regret having bought a Dell laptop now.

Attached Files:

11. wacor

wacor Banned

Again, How did you pay for this??

If it was with a charge card then you may have some recourse.
    Not with a Dell account though.

I would tell them to ship it back, that you refuse to have them repair it as you are convinced you did not cause damage. That you intend to take it to an independent repair center to verify the damage was not caused by negligence and that you will take every legal recourse at that point including contacting a lawyer and forwarding a complaint to the state attourney general.

if you are convinced you did not break it then you gotta threaten them. Including as i stated earler a letter to the president of Dell. Once they know you refuse to let them repair it then you may find they have a different attitude as to their being so convinced that you caused the damage.

good luck

12. clannie

clannie Thread Starter

Credit card bill is already paid so too late to get any recourse there.How does one get to contact the President of Dell address etc. I would like to let him know how incompetent his company is.

13. wacor

wacor Banned

you should be able to google to get the presidents name

and no it is not too late to contact the charge card company. there is a 60 or 90 day period after the transaction typically where you can challenge something like this.

14. wacor

wacor Banned

Michael Dell is the chairman of Dell

I believe that is who i wrote to when nothing else got a response.

no gurantees if you write him but i think if you tell them you want the computer back for a 2nd opinion and state your case they might reconsider

15. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Another Dell laptop catches fire.
    Pictures .................

LINK

[​IMG]

Looks like Dell has some serious safety issues with their batteries.

Attached Files:

• Dell.jpg
      Dell.jpg
      File size:
      102.5 KB
      Views:
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice