1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell studio 15 overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elfa, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elfa

Elfa Thread Starter

Hello! First time poster.

I come with a problem that has been posted before but, since he didn't had an answer, nor answered himself with his solution, I ask again.

I have a dell studio 15 that's 2 years and a half old. It have always had overheating issues, but with some clenaing with compressed air it wasn't a big trouble.

Now, I formated and reinstaled windows a month ago. A week ago my windows partition decided to stop working, so i had to backup with linux, format and reinstall. Since then the pc has been kind of unstable, over heating and shuting down randomly, and not booting windows for a while after that. First, I tried installing all the drivers, includion bios updates. Since that didin't do much, I thought that doing some clean up will resolve the problem, so i opened up using dell's support manual, and disasemble the cooler to blow over there.
    When opened, I notice something strange (Ive uploaded some pictures of it). Some of the (I think it is) thermal paste has melted, leaving the two parts to be in direct contact. Since i don't know much about hardware, I just looked and took photos, blow and cleaned everything, and closed up.

I've downloaded RealTemp, and I'm having 60-70º while idle, and 70-90º while gaming (and random shutting ups), even with and open window near the laptop. (I'm in winter here :p)

Well, what i really wanted to know was if that in the picture is normal, and if is not, if that can be the cause of everything overheating, and if it can be replaced for some new thermal paste.

I have the proffesional tech guy as a last option, because i don't know anyone trust worthy, and a random one will only do what I did and return the pc still malfunctioning to me.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Specs:

Laptop Dell studio 15
    Intel core2duo 2.20ghz
    4gb RAM DDR2
    Windows 7 64bits

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    In a perfect world, the parts would be perfectly flat, be placed in direct contact with each other, and no thermal paste would be used. As that is not the case, the thermal paste is used to fill the inconsistencies and aid in cooling. In other words, what you see is normal.

You can completely remove the paste from both pieces, reinstall more thermal paste (only a small amount is needed), and put them back together.

Having said all of that, as that model has always had overheating issues, there isn't likely much that can be done. Always use the laptop on a hard surface (ie: desk or table top), and you could use a cooling pad.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1012962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice