1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Studio 15 Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonnyhockey, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonnyhockey

jonnyhockey Thread Starter

Good Day Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster. This is a great forum and the advice is greatly appreciated.

I have a Dell Studio 15 laptop. I've had it for a little over 1 year now, and I mainly use it for web browsing, work, and email.

Recently I noticed that my fan was running a little faster than normal. I didn't think about it too much. Even more recently, I have been playing Dragon Age Origins on my computer, and have noticed it getting quite hot to the touch on the keypad. At one point, it shut itself off. At this point, I downloaded RealTemp, and discovered that my computer was running at about 75 C, while idol. Not good.

I researched quite a bit, and decided to open up the back panel, and use compressed air to clean out the fan. I also opened the heatsink and cleaned it out. I then noticed the rubber-like compound under the sink had somewhat melted, so I bought some new thermal paste, and applied it back to the sink.

Although my temperature dropped, I'm still running at about 70 C. My fan works very well, (it runs fairly high at all times, and screams at others.) so I don't think that's the issue. All heatsink points are covered with the stock padding, or the thermal grease.

I also downloaded Everest, and it gave me similar temperature readings.

Does anyone know why this has started to happen?

Specs
    Window Vista Home Premium (6.0 Build 6002)
    Dell Studio 1535
    Bios: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A06
    Processor: Intel(R) Core 2 Duo CPU T5750 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 3070MB RAM

Display
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
    Chip Type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x95C4)
    DAC Type: Internal DAC (400MHz)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

What kind of thermal paste did you use?

Did you clean both surfaces with Isopropyl alcohol before using paste and reassembly?

3. jonnyhockey

jonnyhockey Thread Starter

I did not thoroughly clean both surfaces, no. Will this effect performance?

Thermal paste used was ZeroTherm ZT-100.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

It could interfere with heat transfer to the heatsink, Laptops need all the help they can get in this area, the 15 series are prone to running hot.

I am a big believer in Arctic silver 5, if you do decide to use this, be sure to visit the website on how to apply it.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/878740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice