1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Studio 1558 laptop screen distortion after drop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JB347, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JB347

JB347 Thread Starter

I dropped my laptop and now the LCD screen exhibits some distortion. I can still make out images (see a complete screen). There are just some rippling flowy lines across the screen and colors that should be white are showing up magenta. This happened twice before after I dropped it and both times my computer seemed to heal itself. The second time it went back to normal was after I squeezed the plastic covering over the left hinge that it slightly cracked where the plastic parts meet on the covering's edge.

Also the colors move/wave when I plug in the power cord.

2. xpuser35776

xpuser35776

You are going to need a new LCD screen, And insurance to keep it running since you have the dropsies.

3. JB347

JB347 Thread Starter

Are you sure it can't be something else like a dislodged cable/wire or something? The first time this happened the screen went back to normal on its own. The second time as well after I squeezed the area around the hinge that it slightly cracked. I thought I would have to replace the screen each time this happened but alas not necessary. I don't remember how long it took each time for things to return to normal because I was so excited that the screen fixed itself. I mean I can read words on the screen and everything is where its supposed to be it's just that the colors are off.

4. xpuser35776

xpuser35776

Sudden shock on laptop is not healthy, Harddrive could crash, you say crack is showing? Cable disconnected? That was a pretty hard hit to crack plastic. you need to take it apart to see if cable disconnected, with that said I do not know what your capable of doing. You probably need to take it to a local shop.

5. JB347

JB347 Thread Starter

I did take it to a shop he said I needed a new lcd. This has happened two other times before and each time my computer screen returned to normal after a time which is why I'm hesitant to replace the screen altogether as I don't think it's that extreme. My gut is telling me that it may be a wiring issue or something like that as I can still see a clear screen when I'm reading/writing text. It's only noticeable on the startup screen and when viewing pictures/video. I'm not adept at taking a computer apart and all that although I don't think it would be that hard once I got the proper tools and read/watched some tutorials. I read somewhere something about using tools that are anti-static or something. I'm not sure. I just want to see first if replacing the screen is really necessary or not. Any tips/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

6. xpuser35776

xpuser35776

I feel your aggravation but I have no tips on taking it apart. you could purchase a antistatic mat I purchased mine through Radio shack. And you will need small phillips screw driver, than enter your model number on you tube you might get lucky on how to disassemble your lap top. My Nieces laptop was HP with them you can download service manual. I tried on Dells site NO GO, If you live in large city go to another shop and tell them what you have maybe they will look into your cable issue if that is what it is. Very hard to look through screen to fix your problem;)

7. JB347

JB347 Thread Starter

This was pretty helpful actually. Thanks for looking into the matter for me. I really appreciate it. I'm a big try to do-it-yourself-er but it's times like these that I wish I had a 'computer geek' (I use this term respectfully) friend in my arsenal or knew someone nearby that builds/tinkers with/dismantles computers regularly. I'm going to hold out a little longer to see if my computer magically fixes itself again then I have to figure something out. Thanks again : )

8. xpuser35776

xpuser35776

You are welcome:)

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  10. JB347

JB347 Thread Starter

Thanks a ton. This will be quite useful. :)

11. JB347

JB347 Thread Starter

I want to thank [​IMG] xpuser35776 and [​IMG] managed for all of their help. Between your encouragement and tips (especially the link to the guide) I was able to restore my screen to pristine normalcy without having to purchase/install a new one. You guys just saved me $200 bucks or maybe more. You rock! :):)

12. xpuser35776

xpuser35776

That is awesome glad to help:)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice