1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Studio 1735 XP Downgrade

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Deeh, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deeh

Deeh Thread Starter

I have a Dell Studio 17 on it's way to my waiting grasp, promising to come with that pox of an OS that is vista.
    I would like to downgrade it to XP, but cannot find any information on how that might be done. Has anyone done or tried this and come back with any advice?
    and more importantly, are the proper drivers available? I haven't had any luck finding them myself

the compy is as follows

Dell Studio 1735
    Intel Core 2 Duo T8100, 2.1GHz, 800Mhz, 3M L2 Cache
    4GB, DDR2, 2 Dimm
    ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 3650
    320G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Microsoft Windows Vista, Home Premium
    8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner
    Wireless 1510 802.11n Half Mini Card
    Express Card Sound Blaster X-Fi Laptop Sound Card
    Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module 2.0

2. 12tipp12

12tipp12

Hi, even though im presently using xp, maybe you might consider trying vista for a while, it's really not that bad when you get the hang of it.

Bill

3. Claymore

Claymore

Hello,

You're in for a fight. I've done a few of these - removing Vista and installing XP.
    There are two things to overcome:

XP doesn't recognize SATA drives. You'll get a no drive detected alarm. There are two ways around this. One is to select a different SATA Mode in the BIOS. The other is to get the SATA drivers for that drive, put them on a floppy and load them during the XP installation process. If that isn't an option then you can slipstream the SATA drivers into an XP CD you make yourself.

The other is drivers. I see that Dell doesn't distribute drivers for this laptop for XP. They may (and often do) work with XP as well, but you don't know until you try. Otherwise you have to go hunting on the internet for XP drivers. That can be a job.

IMPORTANT : If you do decide to go on this adventure, you need a way to put Vista back if it all goes bad. If they don't ship with a recovery CD, there should be a place in Vista to create your own Vista recovery DVD, and also a CD of drivers. You would also want complete details of your hardware - some of which you have already:
    Graphics
    Audio
    Ethernet
    Modem
    Wireless
    CPU make and model
    Hard drive make
    Motherboard make and model

Do not attempt this operation until you have the drivers all lined up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!