1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Studio 1737 Touchpad No longer works

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twofivedesigns, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twofivedesigns

twofivedesigns Thread Starter

This isn't actually a new issue but I've just used an external USB mouse since it occurred. The dell touchpad no longer will respond to anything. All of the touch buttons at the top work fine as does the keyboard. I just don't know if its a hardware issue or a driver issue. I installed the latest drivers and it still doesn't work so I'm assuming it could be hardware.

What also struck me as odd is that after installing the dell touchpad program and drivers I can't seem to launch the dell touchpad utility. It asks me to run the program but it never actually runs the computer acts as if I hadn't done anything.

Any ideas folks?

2. Zuggel

Zuggel

They keyboard and the media center controls are completely separate from the touchpad.

3. twofivedesigns

Hmm....sorry not as computer literate as I am with desktops. Anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

4. vicks

vicks

Go into the control panel, if you have it set for 'large icon' click on mouse, you should be able to select the touchpad settings where you can activate it.
    Vicks

5. twofivedesigns

I've tried nearly everything. It's weird because under the Mouse settings it doesn't have any options for any sort of touchpad, I've looked through it dozens of times. It's as if the computer doesn't recognize I even have one.

I believe this all started when I switched from Vista to Windows 7 but I can't be too sure. Thinking about taking it the local computer shop but they would just send it out and charge me $100 or more.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated, if I can't figure it out might just try reinstalling Vista just to see. I really want to get it working before selling the laptop. But since its the only one I have and I work on it daily for my graphic designs I just can't bear the headache of backing up everything, switching back to vista and back to W7 again. :/ Hmmm...

6. vicks

vicks

If you go into device manager, is there any yellow ! there?
    Vicks

7. twofivedesigns

See that's the first thing I checked but the touchpad isn't even listed. The list is as follows:
    HID - Compliant Mouse
    HID - Compliant Mouse
    Wacom Mouse
    Wacom Mouse Monitor

There aren't any yellow icons in the mouse area. Really odd stuff.

8. vicks

vicks

Have you tried going into Dell, entering your service tag number, and see what updated drivers they might have there?
    If you want to post your service tag number, I would be glad to help you try to find the correct thing. Also, by going to them you should be able to learn what mouse pad they originally installed on your computer/
    Vicks

9. Zuggel

Zuggel

That is good advice Vicks, since yours came with Vista instead of 7 while the drivers might work they potentially might not be the best ones. Go to dell and d/l and install the latest ones they have.

10. twofivedesigns

I went on the site prior to posting here, entered the tag and it listed 3 downloads. One is for the Dell Touchpad Program which I installed and also install the latest drivers aswell. After the computer not recognizing the Tpad I tried launching the Dell Touchpad Program and it is about to load and then nothing happens. I tried running it in different compatibility modes and ran it as administrator. I'll try a few more things and post back..

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far!

11. vicks

vicks

Like I mentioned before, if you can post your service tag number I will see what I can find for you.
    My Dell laptop has an touch pad made by Alps. This I found by going into device manager, mouse and other pointers> properties for the dell touch pad.
    Vicks

12. twofivedesigns

Alrighty, the service tag is J75XKK1

13. vicks

vicks

Good evening.
    Was gone all day just now back on line.
    Here is the link for the manual for your computer....http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/studio1737/en/index.htm
    I have not had any luck in trying to find which touch pad you have.
    Suggest that you download/run www.belarc.com. this free program tells us what is installed on the computer, hardware and software. If you need to, you can download it onto a flash drive and install from it...
    Hopefully we will still be able to solve this for you.
    It is possible that if you call Dell, they may be able to tell you what touch pad was originally installed...
    Let us know what these suggestion yield.
    Vicks

14. vicks

vicks

There is no problem working with you. Everyone here is a volunteer, so you might have to wait a spell before we get back to you.
    Please, before you post any Belarc report, remove the license keys in it, so no one can use it.
    Vicks

15. Zuggel

Zuggel

Have you tried searching for new hardware? I would bet that this is a software/driver issue, it just a matter of getting the right one installed. Check here for your version. I would download and reinstall/install all of the drivers.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1042442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice