1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Studio 1737 won't boot up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by extradesk, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. extradesk

extradesk Thread Starter

Dell Studio 1737. Using Vista. Was running well. Now on bootup get screen ...'.Launch startup repair or start normally'
    on clicking repair it tries, then gets screen...' checking system for problems' which I ran and got 'Startup repair cannot repair automatically'. Gives choice to send info. or don't send info.
    The problem details are as follows:
    Problem signature 1 AutoFailover
    2 6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000
    3 6
    4 1376276
    5 Bad driver
    6 Bad Driver
    7 0
    8 3
    9 WrpRepair
    10 10
    I am looking for a solution (if there is any) to not have to do a repair that will destroy my files.

Within last 3 weeks installed McAffee (had problems installing) and connected a 'Nook'

In the last 3 weeks had installed McAfee (had problems installing) and connected a 'Nook'

2. extradesk

extradesk Thread Starter

Unfortunately, no system restore points were set. A list of recovery tools came up....I'll try the command prompt suggestion.

3. extradesk

extradesk Thread Starter

ran CKHDSK/F and got this.....The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.
    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to shedule this volume to be checked the nest time the system restarts?

4. extradesk

extradesk Thread Starter

Ok, done. Same results. Says 'startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically.

5. extradesk

extradesk Thread Starter

is that the fix mbr you mentioned?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!