1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Studio/Vista 64bit computer crashes when idle

Discussion in 'General Security' started by x_rook_x, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x_rook_x

x_rook_x Thread Starter

Alrighty, I've got a bit of a perplexing problem. My Four(ish) month old laptop has taken on a new, annoying bad habit. Occasionally, when left to idle for longer than about 30 minutes, it'll quietly blue screen, restart itself, to the user selection screen and then be completely fine. However, it isn't consistently BSoDing. Often, I can leave it set for hours and hours while I do chores or work on something else, and it will happily sit still and wait for my return.

On the flip side, it never BSoDs when I'm using it. On days when I have to do a lot of work, or even extended WoW sessions with friends, it runs like clockwork for hours on end.

I've never had any major errors, I frequently scan for spyware (adaware), viruses (avast!), and nothing other than a few cookies (in adaware) ever comes up. My computer's temperature consistently runs between 110F-128F, and if idling, usually between 100-110. I can't recall downloading or installing anything that would cause this.

While it isn't a major concern, it is annoying, and BSoDs are actually kind of serious. I checked to see if it was that silly screensaver that a few people on here had talked about, and unfortunately it isn't. Apparently I'm actually BSoDing.

Any tips, tricks, questions, and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I figured due to the peculiar nature of this crashing, that it is probably a security issue, rather than something hardware related. If anyone feels that this belongs in a different category, feel free to ask me to repost or move the thread to another section. Anything that will help me fix this annoyance would be amazing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!