1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Studio XPS 1645 HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pittfella13, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pittfella13

pittfella13 Thread Starter

Apparently Dell XPS' have more than 9 lives because I have gone through a complete replacement system, 10 hard drives, 3 motherboards, a fan or two, etc etc.

So the story is I bought an XPS 1640 in summer of 2009, went through about 5 or 6 hard drives and a motherboard and other replacements I simply can't remember because I've gone through so many service requests. Eventually pops did some serious "complaining" and got Dell to replace it with a brand new XPS 1645. Since then I've gone through two motherboards, a fan, and around 4-6 hard drives. Luckily, I got a 4 year parts warranty, so I'm just losing my time and personal files. Other than that, Dell can fork out the money as much as they want.

I consider myself a decent computer user. I can build a desktop from scratch, I know all the parts, etc, but obviously I don't know enough to know what's going on here. I most recently had a motherboard and fan replacement. I don't visit dangerous sites, I use a pad with a cooling fan, have anti-virus, malware, and spyware protection programs. Basically, I don't know what more to do.

After getting the computer back the fan is running constantly and that is always a bad sign to me. I can literally tell when its gunna go because response time slows down and everything in the computer slows down. Thus, I'm feelin another hard drive crash again here soon.

So, do I just have the midas touch-of-death with computers, or is there something I can do?!?

Sorry for the novel, but I felt it was necessary to show my disgust with dell and my dire need for answers!

Dell Studio XPS 1645
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Intel Core i7 1.6 Ghz (1st gen) x64
    Toshiba 500 Gb SATA
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD graphics card

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Hardware failures typically aren't tied to software. I'd suspect an underlying issue that's affecting the hardware. My first thought would be a power issue. Are you using a quality UPS to filter power and protect against surges? Aside from that, possibly heat (ie: room temp) or as the result of dust/dirt.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

A new board means a new computer. So the computer has been replaced 3 times, not lived 3 more lives.

The board is the computer.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Unfortunately the dell xps models are known to have serious problems.The dell studios themselves are usually trouble free models.Im sorry that you have had so many problems with yours.Ive been advised by several of my computer friends to avoid the dell xps models like the plague because of the numerous problems they have.The motherboards alone are 500 dollars to replace.Its not you killing the computers its that particular model.Dells for the most part are good computers as i have quite a few but maybe try another dell model thats not so trouble prone.

5. Dell-Kris

Dell-Kris Dell Representative

Hello pittfella13,
    My name is Krishna and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. Sorry to hear about this bad experience. Please PM me your Service Tag number and I would be happy to look into this for you.

Regards,
    Dell-Kris K

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice