Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dell studio xps 17 laptop no power

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tgrover54 
#1 ·
I am working with an elderly gentleman who has a 2009 Dell Studio XPS 17" laptop running Windows 7. Plugged in most of the time. Suddenly, began getting black screen when the power button was pushed. The lights across the top of the keyboard stream briefly across from right to left. The light by the power cord is amber (shouldn't it be green?). At first, we get a black screen that says critical battery press F1 and a single beep. We briefly get a screen asking to start normally or not, then the whole thing shuts down.

I have tried removing the battery, unplugging, holding the power down for a minute and replacing the battery, plugging in, same result. I have tried plugging in and starting with no battery--nothing. We have ordered a new power adapter, because I felt that the adapter was not charging the battery. It should arrive this week, but I am beginning to think that is not the problem. Trying to find beep codes for this computer, but no luck.

I do not have the computer here, but I am thinking I should try:
* opening it up and reseating the COM battery and the memory
* ordering a installing a new regular battery

I would really appreciate some help on this one. I would love to get this started for this gentleman, who is disabled. This computer is his only link to the world, and he is quite distressed to be without it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, C141. I am going to see if I can go and pick up the laptop and bring it home to work on it. I want to find the manual for the exact model. I'm going to check both the memory cards, unseat and reseat the COM battery and double-check the beep pattern. I'll get back to you with any results I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.