1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell System Restore (XP PRO) Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ggafni, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggafni

ggafni Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Dell Optiplex with Win XP Pro pre-installed. Due to virus I need to restore the operating system. Problem is, I don't have the Restore Discs.

Anyways, I tried installing off an XP Pro disk I have (retail) but it will not accept my key as printed on the case.

I contacted Dell who told me that the Win-Key is stored on the mobo and that I must have their CD to restore. Problem is, their quoted me $86 and 3 weeks for delivery.

Here's my question, I remember that they had an "XP Pro restore disc" + another "Drivers" disc. Are the "XP Pro restore discs" generic (for all Dell systems)? My friend has a Vostro with XP Pro and I can probably borrow his and download the system specific drivers...

Will that work?

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice