1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Dell T3600 no HDD ports showing in BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TechSC, Jan 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

I have a dell precision t3600 and I recently added a ssd without any issue. However, when plugging in the optical drive into on of the hdd ports I saw that it was not detected. I went into the BIOS and the only to drives listed are sata0 and sata1. I have update to the latest BIOS. I have looked up some other alternatives through google, but wanted to see if anyone had any advice/things for me to try. There are no other cards using or connected to the ports. Thanks for your help

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Dell Precision T3600 Desktop PC (support site)

Capture.JPG

According to its on-line manual, its motherboard has 6 SATA ports for storage drives and disc drives - see #26.

Are you sure its storage drive(s) and disc drive(s) are connected to the appropriate SATA ports, and are they selected/enabled in the BIOS?

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Yes, with Dells, as well as others, the individual SATA port must be enabled in BIOS before any drive connected to it will be recognized.

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

And/or, did you plug the power cable back into the optical drive?

5. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Yes on the power cable being plugged in. When looking at the BIOS I do not see a way to enable the sata ports. Is there something specific that just two of the ports are labeled sata and the other four are hdd? I have seen mention of a sata controller for the t3600? Thanks for your help

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If that Dell's motherboard does indeed have 6 SATA ports, they will be listed in the BIOS as:
    SATA-0
    SATA-1
    SATA-2
    SATA-3
    SATA-4
    SATA-5
    or something very similar to it.
    The used/enabled ports should be checked.
    The unused/disabled ports should be unchecked.

-------------------------------------------------------------

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Apparently only the Sata 0 and Sata 1 sockets work !

I think they are the white one and the black one below it, as seen on the picture in Frank's post #2.

8. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

That is correct on sata 0 and sata 1, but I have seen others posts where the HDD ports can be used also. I just installed a storage controller drive 9F51R_WN_3.7.4.1004_A03. It initially has not made a difference. I am going to rearrange my connections and see from there.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Allan, the PERC is a RAID controller for Dells, used for SAS drives. I'm using one in my homebuilt system with a pair of SAS drives.
    Looking through the user guide on the link Frank posted above, I'm not sure on can use more than two SATA drives, in spite of the number of available connections. Odd ...

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Thanks for the PERC info Mark. (I didn't look into it earlier because I didn't think it applied to the OP).

12. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Agreed. I don't believe they work with SATA drives anyway.

13. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

14. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Thanks! That explains a lot!

15. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. When I got the machine it did not have a PERC card and therefore not sure if it ever did. I do have two drives connected to the two sata ports. I was trying to find a way to use the hdd port for the optical drive, but from everyone's feedback it looks like that it is not possible. I was reading one post were the guy mentioned success and if I can find I will add a link. Thanks for everyone's help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice