1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Touchpad Alps Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sherrikeo, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sherrikeo

sherrikeo Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop and my mouse used to work fine then randomly the mouse started working slowly and the scrolling settings had to be re-enabled every time I restarted my computer. I have Alps version: 7.1.102.7 and have gone to the Dell website and uninstalled my mouse program and reinstalled it and it still won't work. If there is another website for a more updated version of Alps or if there is something internally wrong with my computer any help would be appreciated!! THANKS!

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Dell touchpad drivers for alps just suck

Here is a good driver from toshiba...go to control panel.....then add and remove programs ... uninstall your current "dell touchpad" software

XP or 7
    7.x5.303.117
    driver_touchpad_alps_TC70018700E.exe

Vista
    http://download2us.softpedia.com/dl...24482/drivers/others/alps-7.0.301.4-vista.exe

You will now have scrolling that works for days without having to reboot
    Will continue to scroll when you finger reaches the corner so you dont have to keep swiping it.
    Edge motion...very handy for dragging....now you can disable drag lock because you have edge motion.
    Drag lock is a pain..so go disable it after you install the toshiba driver..if you dont you will have to tap every time you want to release something

Corner tap assignment
    Browser back forward support
    Truly adjustable scroll size areas
    The list goes on and on :)

3. sherrikeo

sherrikeo Thread Starter

I downloaded the Alps touchpad you suggested but now the mouse barely moves. Its as if the mouse gets stuck and i keep trying to move it to where i want it to go and it takes forever. The scrolling works automatically when I turn on the computer so I don't have to worry about enabling after every reboot but the movement of the mouse doesnt work =( .

4. sherrikeo

sherrikeo Thread Starter

Oh and I just hooked up an external mouse and the external mouse moves fine... Does that mean something internally is wrong with my computer?

5. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

There are settings for pointer speed..have you tried those?

6. sherrikeo

sherrikeo Thread Starter

It doesn't have anything to do with the speed ... the mouse just gets stuck and I have to keep pressing on the mouse pad until finally it will move over.

7. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Boot to f12
    hit the power button and start tapping f12 light and fast
    From the menu select diagnostics
    Run the tests{you can skip the long memory test}
    Lets see if the touch pad passes the hardware test

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice