1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dell usb keyboard & mouse not working with asus p5ke

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by r99leonm99, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. r99leonm99

r99leonm99 Thread Starter

keyboard and mouse do not work after startup has passed bios, keyboard light turns off, and mouse doesnt work at all.
    Reall stuck what to do, please help

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Is this one of those Dells with ONLY usb ports.
    We have had many posts recently with these symptoms.
    It has usally transpired to be a usb hub driver error in Windows.
    If it has ps2 ports connect there with either another keyboard and mouse or usb to ps2 converters - if only usb try this
    Dell sets aside two USB ports on Desktops specifically for the mouse and keyboard. The ports are along the same row as the ethernet connector. So, try to use these two ports
    Post back please re the general theme of the above

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your "computer specifications" shows a Dell keyboard and Dell mouse and ASUS P5KE motherboard, but it doesn't show if you're using a Dell computer.

If you are, advise what the 7-character service tag number is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

5. r99leonm99

tried both keyboard and mouse in the usb connections next to the internet port, still no luck.
    Only just got this new asus motherboard, a shop put me in the asus motherboard, new gigabyte case, hd5770 graphics card and new harddrive, i have 2 harddrives now......
    The processor is pentium d 820 2.8ghz.

So the processor and that is still from dell, and the keyboard mouse and monitor, but i have obviously added new parts.

Guy at the shop said he tried it out with a ps2 keyboard and it worked fine...only problem is mine is usb and i dont really want to buy another one, is there a way of getting round this...is it a common problem with asus and dell usb keyboards and mice??

6. r99leonm99

so sorry, the motherboard is ASUS P5LD2 SE, just noticed it now...i tried to disable legacy as i heard that might interfer but no luck, so i changed it back to auto in the bios.

7. r99leonm99

sorry for the slow reply ive just been busy am here now :)

8. r99leonm99

dell service tag was CXPY92J but that was on my old case, as i said b4 i have a gigabyte case now.

Only difference to the dell dimension 5150 config is:
    asus P5LD2 SE motherboard
    seagate barrcda 1tb harddrive
    xfx hd5770 graphics card
    gigabyte case

hope this helps :(

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Macboatmaster submitted some good information in post #2 and #3, but I wasn't sure if your computer was a Dell and if it applied to you.

I personally prefer a PS/2 keyboard because a USB keyboard isn't always recognized and functional if you need to do a hard drive format and fresh install of Windows XP.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The ASUS P5LD2 SE motherboard supports up to 4096 MB(4 GB) of RAM, so I'm hoping you have at least 2048 MB(2 GB) in that computer.

10. r99leonm99

so would you recommend getting a ps2 mouse and ps2 keyboard???...is that 98% certain to fix the problem in your opinion??

I have 2gb in my computer, 4x512mb sticks

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Yes, I would recommend a PS/2 model.

Unless the PS/2 ports in that motherboard are defective, the keyboard and mouse should work fine.

As cheap as keyboards and mice are anyway, it's always good to have a spare.

I'm glad to see you have 4 - 512 MB modules in that computer.

I've seen too many people who continue to run Windows XP and all the other programs on 512 MB and then wonder why their computer runs like a turtle.

12. r99leonm99

weird how it works when entering the bios pre-startup then when the windows xp logo comes on and its starting p after 3 seconds the keyboard light goes off and is non functional??

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Keep us posted and let us know if you resolved the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------

14. r99leonm99

would gettin a usb to ps/2 keyboard and usb to ps/2 mouse adapter be a good option to go with, or would it be better getting a brand new ps2 key + mous?

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There's really no sense in buying USB-to-PS/2 adapters because they plug into the PS/2 ports and you still can't use the keyboard and mouse in the USB ports. If you're looking at the cheaper alternative to buying a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, then I can understand you doing that.

Those adapters are getting hard to find, so good luck. I rarely see them anymore, unless you buy a USB keyboard or mouse that has one as an option.

---------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice