1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dell video driver

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jfburns31, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfburns31

jfburns31 Thread Starter

I just installed Win98se on my Dell Insprion 2500 and it went fine. I did have ME on it before. My question is. Are there video drivers avaliable to shapen the picture? Right now the setting is at 16 colors and there is no higher setting I can go to. Is there software I can use to give it 24 colors?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Yes, you just need your video drivers reinstalled...when you format, usually these are gone with all other data on the drive. Windows CD does not contain all device drivers.
    So, you need to find out what video device you have on that system....need to know whether it is AGP or not, and if it is a PCI added in card type, or an onboard chip type video adapter.
    Your system paperwork might tell you, if you do not recall what it was. The Device Manager may list the device, but usually has listed Standard Graphics Adapter, until the correct drivers are installed....you can look there and see.
    There is another way you may be able to find a lot about your hardware....and software....download and install the Belarc Advisor, a free tool we reccommend for system inventory...it may show your motherboard, in case it does not detect the true video device, this will help you find it. Write down what it gives you for video adapter and mainboard....and post that here.
    The real easy way is to look through your CDs...isnt there one for Drivers, or Applications- probably a Dell Restoration Disk, too? Your drivers are on one of those that came with the computer. If you are unlucky enough to not have any, post back with all the info you can get on what video device you have.
    you can open the pc and look inside, but please be careful, just look for model numbers and brand names on the video chip or card. You can also go to the Dell support site and download the correct driver, but the problem is you have to know what you have, unless they could tell you by looking up the serial number of the computer. You should have a service tag ID either on the back or the bottom of the computer....you go to the dell support area, and type that in, giving your present Operating System, etc and it may be able to show you the correct video device.

3. WillSen

WillSen

I've had this same problem and am still trying to find a solution. I have a dell resource cd with an ATI driver software, which I have tried to install but makes no difference. I went to the dell site, but couldn't find the part you indicated. I have a dell dimension XPS TXXX/R (not sure which)
    Service Tag: JA817
    Service Code: 32389675

The computer belonged to a deceased relative so I know very little about it.

Could anyone be of any assistance to me, thanks. Will

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice