1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Vista on another motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rezelute, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rezelute

rezelute Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Someone mentioned that a Dell Vista reinstalltion might not work on a new motherboard, the DVD itself says that its for installation on Dell PCs only but do you think the DVD will actually block the installation if it detects another motherboard? Or do you think that it would just not activate maybe?
    If so, im aware that i would have to buy a full version of Windows 7 and the price seems to vary from one seller to another, can anyone recommend the cheapest place to buy it?

Actually to make the matter more complicated here is the scenario :p, I currently have Vista installed on the Dell machine but i intend to move the hard drive to the new motherboard with Vista on it. Now many people say that Vista should automatically work with the new motherboard if i repair so in which case i wouldnt be doing a completly new install. Any ideas?

2. Sponsor

3. gberger

gberger

Your question is not very clear, let me take a guess at what you are trying to ask:

- you have a computer
    - you want to change the motherboard
    - your questions: will the OS work with the new motherboard? And will you need to reinstall it?

If that is correct the answers are:
    - the OS will work with the new motherboard.
    - You will not have to reinstall it

4. rezelute

rezelute Thread Starter

Thanks yes thats what im asking however the point i was trying to make is that the motherboard that i currently have is a Dell one and the Windows Vista OS is a Dell DVD, so would the Dell Vista OS DVD work on the other motherboard? (The DVD label says "This reinstallation DVD is to be used on the Dell PC only - can i assume this is only a label warning and that i wouldnt have any issues using it on another motherboard?)

5. gberger

gberger

It's possible that there is something that would look for a Dell BIOS or something like that, I'm not sure. You could always try it. On the other hand, if you are changing MBs there should be no need to reinstall the OS.
    But I think your bigger problem is that Dell has a history of using proprietary motherboards and PSUs. You need to make absolutely sure that a replacement non-Dell MB will work in your PC. You may need to replace the PSU at the same time. I happen to like Dell in terms of value/performance and I'm currently on an XPS, but I purposely bought a higher-end model because I know that upgrading them is a problem.

6. rezelute

rezelute Thread Starter

Ok cool thanks for confirmation about using it without install looks like i will just have to give it a whirl to see if it works otherwise buy a new OS.
    Thanks for all those extra's i have already taken them into consideration, no motherboards fit into Dell cases because the motherboards are specific to the case however i am buying a new CPU cooler, new case and i have already got a new PSU (which i am using now because it fits into the Dell case :).
    Yeh i know i wont be buying from Dell anymore though, i just cant stand their limitations on upgrades.

7. arknorth

arknorth

OEM OS Restore disks are designed to work ONLY for the SAME BRAND computer its going into. So, if you intend on swapping out a DELL motherboard, it has to be a DELL motherboard that goes back in to work with that particular disk - them's the rules, not just from Dell, but ALL manufacturers who use an OEM type OS.

One of the major reasons for this (other than making copies of operating systems without buying them) is that these disks usually also include things like drivers for that specific motherboard and/or chipset.

A-N

8. gberger

gberger

My own experience with OEM OS restore disks is that sometimes they work on other machines. Of course in all those cases the MB drivers were on a separate disc. So it really depends on who it came from.

Back to rezelute:

I looks to me like you are essentially building a new pc, so now I'm not so sure that reinstall won't be necessary. A straight MB swap in an existing PC is one thing - moving a hard drive to a new PC is another.

9. rezelute

rezelute Thread Starter

Humm i see, looks like it might just be best to invest in Windows 7 then :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/908344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice