1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Vostro 1000 Battery Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jack-o-bytes, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

Hey all, Happy Holidays to everyone :)

Someone I know has got a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop and for some reason the laptop says that the battery/charger is undetected and then the charger can't charge the batter. I took out the batter and blew out the terminals that connect it to the laptop and that didn't help. I did notice that the battery said a voltage of about 14.5v on it. I have looked at batteries on the internet and they all seem to say that it should be 11.1v for that laptop. I then looked at the charger and it said 19.5v on it. Now in my mind that sounds a little odd as this laptop now has 3 different voltages all before the VRM's.
    Basically I was just wondering if any one could shed some light on this problem and why the voltages are like this.

Thanks, Jack-O-Bytes

2. jack-o-bytes

3. K7M

K7M

As far as the different voltages go, My dell uses a 19.5 volt PS and the battery is 11.1 volt. When I replaced my battery I was finding two different voltage batteries that supposedly fit it, a 14.5 and an 11.1 but the original was an 11.1 volt so that is what I bought. Does the laptop power up with just the PS plugged in without the battery installed. If it does try to calibrate the battery. you do that by running the battery down to where it shuts down, then leaving the unit plugged in until the charger says it is fully charged. My dell tells me this when the charge light flashes orange. hope this helps.

4. jack-o-bytes

Hey there, Thanks for the reply :)

The battery is totally flat all the time. The moment the cable comes out the laptop turns off instantly. It says that it can't charge the batter because it isn't recognised. However I dont think that the battery has been changed at all.

Thanks Jack-O-Bytes

5. ltrkyt

ltrkyt

My dell tells me this when the charge light flashes orange. hope this helps.

6. jono1234

jono1234

have same issue , my research came up with d/c regulator board issue. Please do the following carefully:
    1. Unplug your laptop.
    2. Remove the battery from the laptop.
    3. Wait 2-3 minutes
    4. Now press ON (power button on laptop) for 1 minute
    5. Then release the finger and wait one more minute.
    6. Now plug in the power cable (dont insert battery yet) and press ON button.

7. jack-o-bytes

Hmmm Thank you :) any idea what I do after number 6? I presume I then load into windows, Shut down and then re-insert the battery and try to charge it?

Jack-O-Bytes

8. jono1234

jono1234

yes accordingly if the problem continues it is most likely the regulator board. hopefully the cost is worth the repair

9. jack-o-bytes

Yeah I tried that now and it just went away for a short while and then came back again. Looks like something that she is going to have to live with lol. Batteries are quite expensive at £45 :S

Thanks for the help
    Jack-O-Bytes

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice