1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Vostro 1000 crashed - kaput ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Soroti, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soroti

Soroti Thread Starter

I have a Dell Vostro 1000 ( running XP) which I use occasionally when travelling and which , while working perfectly one minute , suddenly ceased functioning and despite basic inspection by a local PC repair shop seems kaput . There is no signal whatsoever on the screen but when the "on" button is pressed it seems to start up with the usual "whoosh" and the first 3 green lights on the bar to the left of the ON button light up and then go off . In the light block on the right hand hinge of the screen only the first green light shows ( this is the same whether I have the battery in or not ) . The 2nd light , which I understand is the hard disc indication does not light up yet the shop said that they could see nothing wrong with the hard disc .
    The 3rd light ( battery ?) also stays alight.

The machine is not completely"dead" as I can hear a background hum which seems to imply that it is working but simply wont display anything .

Do I simply dump the machine or is there a possibility that it might be something relatively simple and remediable ??

Any thoughts would be welcomed .

In case its of any import I mention that when using it I have it permanently plugged into the main power supply just as I would with my ordinary PC at home . Overnight it is turned off by simply folding up the laptop rather than using the ON/OFF button.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice