1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Vostro 1000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hammermill, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammermill

Hammermill Thread Starter

Hi all

I hope someone can help me with my problem. When I turn on the computer I get a black screen that says one or two things:

PXE-E61: Media test failure check cable
    PXE-M0F-exiting broadcom PXE Rom.

Operating System not found

or Press F12 and any button

So when I press F12 and enter I get a screen that says Boot menu

Hard drive
    USB storage
    CD Rom Drive
    Removable device
    Broad com PXE
    Diagnostics

I hit hard drive and the computer turns on and operates normally except for internet use. For some reason I cannot connect. I added my network but it still won't work.

Any idea why it won't turn on sometimes and I get the operating system not found message and why when I hit the hard drive button it turns on like normal. I know I need a new adapter as it always say that it is unrecognizable and will not charge battery. I might need a new battery as well. I think I got that message before it stopped signing on normally. It has been a few years I sort of just put this computer to the side and got a new one when it went all wonky.

P.S. my computer knowledge and verbiage is practically nill so try and be as simple as possible.

Thanks

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

PXE-E61: Media test failure check cable
    It usually means that at start up it did not find the hard drive, Cd but is trying to boot from the Network card.

Remove the hard drive - check the contacts and then reseat the hard drive.
    Check in the Bios and see if the Bios sees the hard drive.
    A dead Bios [Cmos] battery can also be the cause.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice