1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Vostro 1500 - Blinking Cursor Issue (Yes, I searched prior to posting)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by uataneja, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. uataneja

uataneja Thread Starter

First time poster, long time lurker (even before my join date). Before posting, I would like to thank this forum for solving many of the problems I have had with my laptops and desktops over the past year. Usually, I search and find answers and trial and error till my issue is fixed.

So a very big thank you to all the members here who have unknowingly helped me in the past.

Now, onto my issue:

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 that is experiencing extremely slow boot times (3-5 minutes). When I press the power button, the laptop flashes the Dell logo, the loading bar fills (2-3 seconds) and then the screen goes blank and there is a blinking cursor at the top left of the screen. The laptop stays this way for about 3-5 minutes before loading my operating system.

I have ruled out the hard drive by pulling hard drives from my other laptops and booting to them. The issue persists no matter which drive I use. It will still boot to the operating system, it just takes 3-5 minutes.

Following that, I have taken the laptop apart, cleaned it using a can of compressed air, checked the heat sink for thermal compound wear, pulled and reseated the RAM from both locations, pulled and reseated other connectors such as keyboard, monitor etc.

So far, nothing has improved the boot times. I have run out of options and even after searching this forum I still haven't found this particular issue listed or solved. Most blinking cursor issues I came across were machines that refused to boot into the OS at all, but my laptop will eventually load the OS.

I have also run Diagnostics and all tests including extended memory tests have passed.

My last post here was for the same problem prior to all the actions taken above.

At this point, I do not know what else I can do. Any and all help is extremely appreciated.

2. Hughv

Hughv

3. uataneja

uataneja Thread Starter

Interesting, you're in Annapolis. I'm about 15 mins from DC.

It doesn't matter what OS I load. The laptops hard drive has Win 7 Ultimate x 64, two of the other drives have Win XP, one drive has Win 7 Home and the last drive has Vista Black Edition (and I hate it enough to want to set it on fire).

Regardless of drive/OS, there is always a 3-5 minute wait on the blinking cursor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't boot logging only pertain to events on that particular drive? If thats the case, then that would be a waste of time, considering it happens for any OS/drive combo.

4. Hughv

Hughv

What was the original OS?
    I would format and partition this drive and use the disks from Dell to reinstall.
    I don't know where you're getting these other disks from, but you can't expect a disk used on a different machine to boot.
    Boot logging would pinpoint the problem driver(s) and would be useful info.
    15 min.? Where?

5. uataneja

uataneja Thread Starter

Germantown.

The original OS was Vista 32 bit when I bought the system. And yes, Ive formatted and reinstalled so many times that my eyes have a windows logo burnt into the back of my retina.

Basically, I get the disks from my other laptops that I have lying around. I can pull a drive, put it in, reformat and reinstall, and it gives the same issue.

Ill try the boot logging today, probably after work. Will report back then.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice