1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Vostro 1500 power adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by travelerone, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. travelerone

travelerone Thread Starter

My laptop is 18 months old & has been powered up a total of less than 100 hours, mostly with the power adapter plugged in. It has been carefully handled.
    Recently on startup I get the following message :
    "The AC power adapter wattage & type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match power available. Please connect a Dell 65W-AC adapter or greater for best system performance. To resolve this issue try to reset the power adapter."
    This message shows up every time on a re-boot. Have to hit F1 to continue. Power meter shows 100%.

Is this an indication that the Model HA65NS1-00 rev: A01 adapter supplied by Dell is about to fail? What might be generating the error message?

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

So are you using a 65W AC adapter? Check the adapter, it will have it written on there somewhere. If you are, then try using a different plug socket to see if that is the problem (try using a totally different outlet).

3. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Is the adapter running unusually hot?

4. travelerone

MaverickUK : The adapter listed above came with my laptop purchase from Dell.
    aka Brett: Don't think it's "unusually" hot. It was connected for several days to a 110vac 50Hz outlet which is within the voltage/frequency range of the adapter per its specifications.

5. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

The only thing I can think of is to substiyute a known good adaptor

is there a best buy where you are at

6. travelerone

The error message all of a sudden disappeared. Hopefully it won't return. If it does I still have six weeks left on the MasterCard warranty (Platinum card used for purchase doubles up to a year the mfr's warranty.)
    The battery was run down & the adapter plugged in. Charging up was normal with no errors.
    Also updated the BIOS & noted that there is an option which can be selected to "NOT show any adapter errors". Evidently Dell recognizes there have been a lot of false alarms.

7. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Glad you got it worked out:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/860923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice