1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Vostro 1500 with Windows XP Home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by khadijahkhan, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. khadijahkhan

khadijahkhan Thread Starter

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop with Windows XP Home Edition. My problem is I was getting runtime errors and the computer was freezing up a lot. I'm broke and got the computer from Circuit World (which is a rent-to-own electronics store for any of you who may not be familiar with it) and they did not provide me with any software, no Recovery discs and no utilities discs either. The laptop has a builtin webcam and of course the basic Dell Utilities are pre-installed. I have a Windows XP Home disc and would like to install it, but I'm not sure how or even if I can. I would also like to be able to use the builtin webcam after reformatting/reconfiguring the computer, but not sure I can do that either. I'm sure I could get help from Dell, but only if I am willing to pay for tech support due to the fact that the warranty on this laptop expired quite some time ago and I don't have a credit card either, but I am sure that I'm intelligent enough to resolve and repair any problems myself if I could just get some professional guidance. So if anyone can help me or at least tell me if I need the utility drivers in order to use the builtin, pre-installed webcam and if I can install Windows XP from my disc (a reminder: this disc did NOT come with the laptop. I have no software for this computer at all), I would really appreciate it! I have yahoo, hotmail and skype messengers if anyone knows how to help me with these problems, has patience and the time and know-how. Just email me and let me know if any of you guys/gals know any answers or solutions for these problems and can help me. Many thanks! :eek: P.S. I forgot to mention that I have tried to restore the computer to an earlier time, to no avail. I made a mistake of installing some virus scanner online and then it wouldn't remove any viruses or anything unless I first paid for a subscritption by credit card (and as I mentioned earlier, I'm totally broke and have no credit card). Nothing on the computer will open EXCEPT THAT LOUSY VIRUS SCANNER. I can't open the control panel, the task manager, nothing and when I try to open yahoo messenger, it says yahoo is infected by viruses. Can't use Internet Explorer, Opera or Google Chrome either. <sigh> I'm very frustrated and have no clue what to do but I would really like to be able to use this computer and can't afford to pay a professional to fix it.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You have an actual Windows XP Home Edition CD?

Is there a sticker on the bottom of the laptop with a 25-digit product code for Windows XP Home Edition? Don't post that code here for everyone to see. I just need to know if it's present.

Is there also a service tag number on the sticker? If there is, post the number here - correctly.

Is the CDROM drive working?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you got no disks with the system it should include a Recovery partition on the hard drive. It can be used to "Recover" the system to the way it was when it left Dell. You can also use it to create a set of Recovery CDs/DVDs.

If you don't have that you may be able to get an installation disk or Recovery disks from Dell for a reasonable price.

If your XP CD is OEM and was used on a system already it does you no good. If it is retail you can remove it from its current system and install it on another system.

The Dell web site, support section, should have the information on using the Recovery partition and all the drivers and special Dell software you may need after a new Windows install.

EDIT: use your Service Tag for easier searching.

4. khadijahkhan

Yes, there is a 25-digit product code sticker for Windows XP on the bottom of the laptop. I purchased the Windows XP home CD several years ago from Wal-Mart. I had previously used this CD to install XP on my hp Pavilion desktop, but have since reformatted that computer using the recovery partition, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out an easy way to reformat this Dell Vostro. If there is a factory-installed recovery utility in the program menu, I can't find it. There are other Dell utilities, (i.e, Dell Accessories, Dell QuickSet, Dell Support Center, Dell Webcam and Dell Wireless), but I see nothing at all about any recovery utility. Add to that the fact that the only program or application that will open at all when I startup the computer is that awful virus scanner, then we have real problems. I see this warning message in the icon tray above the virus scanner icon, (WARNING! Application cannot be executed. The file wmiprvse.exe is infected. Please activate your antivirus software, and unfortunately, I can't remove this software because the control panel won't open and just sending it to the recycle bin is useless as I'm sure you know.

Well, previously I hadn't actually checked to be sure the CD-ROM drive was working, but apparently it is not, so I suppose I need more than just online tech help here. I'm not sure but maybe there's a virus on it that has caused damage to the hard drive and that's what causing all this whacked-out behavior, in which case I suppose I need to take it somewhere to have it repaired by someone who knows more about hardware than I do.

Sorry to be so long-winded and I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. But it's looking as if I will need to spend some money to get it fixed. However, I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas. :)

P.S. I advise anyone who may be considering downloading any virus scanner from the internet (or any other files or software, for that matter) to seriously think twice about it as I have learned a painful lesson by doing so. I think some people assume you can't get viruses or develop problems by downloading a VIRUS scanner, but anything and everything you download from the net can be infected with viruses and you're taking a risk any time you click OK to download. I've heard that viruses or spyware are sometimes even planted on software you buy from retailers. Not sure if that's true, may sound like a paranoid conspiracy theory but who the heck knows?! To be fair though, there was already a problem with this computer as it kept freezing up for extended periods and I repeatedly got a runtime error message (and I do mean REPEATEDLY, as in over and over and over and over again!), which is why I got the bright idea (not so bright, as it turns out) to download a virus scanner from the internet. At least before I did that, the browsers and yahoo messenger were working, but now virtually NOTHING will open.

Ah, another error message. This one says: Error loading: C:\DOCUME~1\NETWOR~protect.dll Access is denied. This I got when I logged on using a different windows account, other than my own, which is the Owner/Administrator account. Unfortunately, this account does not have administrative privileges and I am unable to change that either because it doesn't allow me to make any changes on the Admin. account. The control panel opened on this one, but it's useless since it's not an admin account. grrrrrr!!! frustrating!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the XP installation CD you purchased is an OEM I know that you can install that and use the computer's XP Product code. If it is a Retail version install it and try the computer's XP Product code. If that doesn't work call Microsoft and explain the situation.

I realize you need to get the CD drive working first. Are you sure it is not working? Have you been into the BIOS (Setup) and made sure the CD (or optical) drive is first in the boot order? If so, does anything happen when you try to boot from the CD?

If you can boot from the CD drive you can use the XP installation CD to format the hard drive, or we can suggest other partitioning/formatting utilities.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you have the Dell System restore you can use that and you will not need a install CD

http://support.dell.com/support/top...pe=&os=&component=&lang=&doclang=&toggle=&dl=

If not, You can get a reinstallation guide specific to your Dell here
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...install/en/index?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

This is a great guide for reinstalling on a Dell: http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm

You can request a replacement instalation cd here:

http://support.dell.com/support/top...1C590C9132AB20E040A68F5B28350B&doclang=en&cs=

7. khadijahkhan

I think the CD drive actually is working because I did attempt to boot it from the Windows CD, but well, the computer is used. I bought it from Circuit World and I think they did something there (because it was a rent-to-own deal) to prevent me (or anyone who purchased it) from making certain changes. (However, I think I should also note that I was until recently able to open the control panel and make changes, such as adding and removing programs and as far as I know, I've never changed any of the components. I think it's worms and trojans and those bad ol' meanies making changes I did not authorize and changing and/or deleting files or something).

It seems it copied files from the Windows CD when I attempted to boot, but didn't really fix the problem. It supposedly 'repaired' Windows, but all the aforementioned problems are still present. I'm going to try to reinstall Windows one more time to see what happens.

Anyone have any idea what will happen if I attempt to format drive C by going into My Computer? One person told me that won't work, but I haven't actually tried it yet, for fear of making things worse, but it can't get much worse than not working at all, huh? The computer is basically useless to me anyhow if I can't open any programs, go online or install anything on it. I really appreciate all the tips and suggestions. I'll let you guys know what happens next. Ooo the drama, lol. :-D I'm thinking maybe I can find some file or software fix online and possibly copy it to CD or a flash drive and hope that it will install on the messed up computer. Wish me luck ppl. Thanks again and have a nice evening everyone. :)

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can't format from within windows. CW could not have done anything to prevent you from booting from the cd, deleting the partitions and resinstalling

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't remember whether it will refuse or will do it after asking for confirmation that you understand that you will be destroying your Windows installation.

If you can boot from a Windows installation disk you should be able to format before installing.

10. khadijahkhan

Not sure if this helps but this is one of the errors I am getting:

rlvknlg.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point DecodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

I don't think you have booted from the installation CD . . did you see a prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD"?

12. khadijahkhan

By the way Master Yoda, it wouldn't let me format by going into My Computer. And I am having a spot of trouble with the driver downloads on the Dell site. I attempted to download all the recommended drivers for the Vostro 1500, but strangely every one I download is labeled as DellDriverDownloadManager and seems I'm downloading the same file with each driver which I found to be quite odd and confusing. And when I attempt to open the file after I download it, it says: "There are no files to download. Please go to Drivers and Downloads to select file(s) and then gives me the option of clicking OK, and when I click OK it's just gone, so even if there is some way I can drag the driver files to that DellDriverDownloadManager, well I can't because it just vanishes into thin air and I can't click on the folder or drag anything to it with the little message window thingie "There are no files to download..." over top of it. Go figure! Heck if I know what to do. But now in the process of attempting to reboot Windows once again. Say a little prayer to the computer gods guys. :-D

13. khadijahkhan

ah sorry, i'm not all that used to posting threads and replies in forums so it didn't really occur to me to reply directly to ur post...my apologies. if ur not too busy, feel free to message me on yahoo if u want. [email addr. removed by mod.]

14. Old Rich

Old Rich

I download them one at a time and do not use the download manager. You were able to renstall?

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm finding this for the chipset; used the "browser download" option and downloaded R153997.exe. Are you using Dell's download manager? I've never tried it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/847291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice