1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Vostro 1500 with Windows XP Home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by khadijahkhan, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. khadijahkhan

khadijahkhan Thread Starter

well I'm still in the process and yes, I did finally get to the point where it says Press any key to boot from CD, which I also did last night, but I chose repair rather than a totally new install thinking (hoping, praying) it might just repair any files and eliminate the need to install all the necessary drivers, but no such luck. still smiling though :) patience have i Master Yoda! May the Force Be with You!!! lol I Looove Star Wars!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    We only help in the public forum so I removed your email address.

3. khadijahkhan

nah, i'm not using dell's download manager. i attempted to, to no avail. but honestly, i do NOT kno how to get these drivers to download like they're supposed to. i'm not lacking in wit, i mean i've downloaded thousands of files and i kno where the files r going (to my documents folder) but every time i download one of the drivers it says it's the dell download manager and it's like the file doesn't contain anything at all. on the site the drivers r labeled according but when i download them, every single one shows up as the dell download manager, which totally makes no sense at all to me. :-?? :-/ major confusion here

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

I just download one for grins and giggles and it downloaded fine . . .

5. khadijahkhan

ah ok i understand. no email addresses. so here i am in windows setup and this is what i am seeing. To set up Windows XP on the selected item, (which is Partition1 [FAT] 47 MB < 39 MB free >

To create a portion in the unpartitioned space, press C.

To delete the selected partition, press D.

and then it has this list

it says:

152626 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

-: Partition1 [FAT] 47 MB < 39 MB free >
    C: Partitiion2 [NTFS] 142059 MB < 72157 MB free >
    E: Partition 3 <MEDIADIRECT> [FAT32] 10519 MB < 9782 MB free >

ur advice on wht to do now?

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Leave the first one alone ( -: Partition1 [FAT] 47 MB < 39 MB free >)

Delete this one: C: Partitiion2 [NTFS] 142059 MB < 72157 MB free >

unless you do not usethe Media Direct feature do not delete this one: E: Partition 3 <MEDIADIRECT> [FAT32] 10519 MB < 9782 MB free >

The link to the Dell guide on how to install on your PC will help you with reinstalling the Media Direct ( you do that first, then install XP as I recall)

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

8. khadijahkhan

umm, on which partition should windows be installed? i did as u suggested and deleted C: Partition and frankly, I am not really sure if I use E:partition, so I thought maybe, at least for the time being, it may be best to leave it alone. just need to kno where to install Windows now. another question, will i need to install all the necessary drivers before i can go online? cuz it would be so much simpler to just download them directly to the Vostro if i can go to the Dell website, but ignorant as i am abt these things, i'm doubtful that i will be able go use anything that requires an internet connection until the drivers have been installed. thanks again guys for all your help and suggestions and my apologies if any of u become frustrated and exasperated by me. :-s

9. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

E is media direct, so C is the one to delete and re-create to install XP on.

-: Partition1 [FAT] 47 MB < 39 MB free >
    C: Partitiion2 [NTFS] 142059 MB < 72157 MB free >
    E: Partition 3 <MEDIADIRECT> [FAT32] 10519 MB < 9782 MB free >

"will i need to install all the necessary drivers before i can go online?"

Yes download them in advance and save to CD or flash drive, you will not be able to get to the internet after reinstall until you install the network driver.

There is a proper order to install drivers on a Dell laptop also, very important to follow the order.
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...2C6D57&docid=3690A8CC21FAF290E040A68F5B281A12

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes the chipset and networking drivers installed during a Windows installation are sufficient to network and sometimes not. Difficult to predict.

I'm not sure why Rich had you delete that 142059 MB partition. I would have said to format that one and install there. I think you now want to use all that unallocated space to create a new partition, format to NTFS, and install to it.

11. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

12. khadijahkhan

Well folks, I'm happy to say, I have successfully reinstalled Windows XP, but the problem with the download of the drivers persists. I think it must be something I did, or maybe there's something wrong with this pc too...OH DEAR!!! imagine that... <sigh> Why oh why does it download DellDownloadManager. I know what the download manager is, but I do NOT have any clue as to why every time I click on the download button for any of the drivers, it is labeled as DellDownloadManager when I go to save it and then same thing when I open the file after the download. Makes no sense at all. What the heck have I done? Why won't it download the drivers on this computer?

I'm such an idiot...now I think that maybe I AM using Dell's download Manager....apparently so, or I don't think I would be experiencing this problem. Come to think of it, I think when I started to download the first driver, it may have asked if I wanted to download the drivers to my system or to the Dell Download Manager and I guess I chose Dell Download Manager but still have no idea why that is what it downloads every time I click on download for any of the drivers, or how to go back and change it so that I can download the drivers to the computer I am using here so that I can copy the drivers and . I'm sure there's a very simple solution for this, but I don't know what it is. :-??

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the Dell Download Manager something you can uninstall with its own uninstaller or using Add/Remove Programs?

And/or try removing any cookies associated with Dell; maybe you'll then get the choice again whether to use the browser or Dell's downloader.

14. Old Rich

Old Rich

I like to delete the partition, then create a new one to install XP on . . just the way I do things maybe

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks. Makes sense. Then my followup advice to create a new partition was in the right direction.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!