1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Vostro 260s - Won't Boot From External Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by keega, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keega

keega Thread Starter

Hi all,

One of my Dell systems took a dive (no power, etc.) so I pulled out the hard drive and hooked it up to this Dell Vostro 260 so the person could have access to their files. I've checked the BIOS to boot from it, but nope, doesn't work. The system goes black, little cursor for a moment then asks me if I want to run repair to start normally. I've tried repair and normally but still can't boot from this external. The system does see it, so I'm really not sure what to do. Someone help, please?

Thanks in advance.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

I'm a little confused by "I've checked the BIOS to boot from it, but nope, doesn't work.". Does that mean that the ext drive is not recognized?

With the power of your computer & ext drive off, connect the ext drive.

Turn on the power for your ext drive.

Turn on the Vostro.

Press the key indicated at the Dell Splash screen to enter the boot menu. Is your ext drive present? If so, select it.

If not, go into setup & look for ext drives. You may need to enable it / have the option to enable it.

My Vostro 1500 does NOT , sadly, have that option.

Re: "I pulled out the hard drive and hooked it up to this Dell Vostro 260 "
    you could connect the HDD to an adapter that could connect via USB. But I suspect that you have already considered that option.

RF123

3. keega

keega Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for responding.

Yes, the BIOS does see it and I've put it in the first position (to boot from). I did connect the usb external to another system (actually tried two systems), again ensuring it was set to boot from but no, it doesn't work. What am I missing here?

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Good for progress.

Verify that the device you are using to connect the Dell to the ext HDD functions.

Boot to known working computer, preferably the computer to which you are trying to boot using the HDD from the problem computer.
    Connect the HDD from the problem computer to a usb port, I'm assuming that you are using a usb connection for the HDD from the problem computer.

RF123

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

I suppose it is possible, although I have no explanation as to why this would occur, that Dell has disabled booting from a HDD not associated with the computer.
    Computer A is the computer with the problem
    HDD A is the HDD from the computer with the problem

Computer B the computer that boots to its own HDD.
    HDD B is the HDD from the computer that boots.

Have you removed HDD B from Computer B & placed HDDA into the place where HDD B previously occupied?

I'm easily confused, occasionally, which sadly for us includes this moment in time. :)

RF123

6. keega

keega Thread Starter

Hey! The device appears to function properly. I booted up the known working system and plugged in the drive from the NOT working system and the known (working) system definitely sees it. I can access the drive no problem. It's the booting part that's killing me.

Thanks for taking the time.

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

k:
    Congratulations on the progress.

Connect HDD A into the slot of Computer B
    Enter the BIOS
    Look for something that allows you to enable it.

If you select the Boot Menu screen on Computer B, is HDD A an option?

Put HDD B into Computer B.
    Connect HDD A to Computer B via usb
    Enter the BIOS. Is HDD A seen? You might have to enable either the USB port or the drive. I apologize for not being a Dell expert.

Try booting Computer B, with HDD A connected via USB. Select the Boot Menu. Is HDD A seen on the Boot Menu?

Oh, you are very welcome. :)

RF123

8. keega

keega Thread Starter

Haha! Yeah, it's been a long day.

I've not taken out the hard drive from comp B (the known working, booting one) and replaced the HDD from A. I've only tried it as an external. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Dell disallowed booting from an unknown drive. Dunno. I'll try again in the morning. I'm having a much-needed glass of wine atm. Thanks so much for your suggestions and checklist-y stuff. I am smiling for the first time today.

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

SO. ATM s at your location dispense wine?
    HA HA. Just kidding.
    It's important to know when to take a break.

Keep TGF updated as to the status of your situation.

As an occasional Dell user, I've found their tech support forum helpful. THEY may be able to tell you if there is a Dell imposed restriction.

I am NOT suggesting you stop visiting TGF . There may well be a Dell expert at TGF who can answer the question.

I think it important for me to advise someone when I do not have the answer to a particular inquiry.

Best of success.

White or Red [ the wine ]? :D
    Again, simply kidding, trying to make merry.

RF123

10. keega

keega Thread Starter

Location of wine: CA (Santa Cruz), color o' wine: red (merlot). You've been most helpful and funny. Just what I needed to end this hairy day! Thank you. I'll visit this again in say 10 hours. The Dell rep is supposed to call me tomorrow between 9 and 12 with a visit hopefully same day. Ha! This was the system they exchanged the other one that barfed. Yeah, under warranty too! Just don't like my peeps being without their tools, eh?

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

Thanks for the chuckle.

Now, I'll have breakfast. :D

RF123

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  13. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Most drives from one system to another can not be booted even if installed internally.
    They do not have the required drivers for the new machine and are looking for devices that are not there.

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

Thanks, TerryNet for that link. I had been unaware.

DaveA:
    It will work if the PCs have the same brand / model & model # for motherboard, cpu, ram, graphics card & power supply.
    I have done this. I built 2 systems with same brand / model & model # for motherboard, cpu, ram, graphics card & power supply.

edit:
    BUT,if the systems / PCs have different [ brand / model & model ] motherboards, cpus, rams
    a black screen will appear, with an error code of something like 0xc?????? . This is also from personal experince. :)

RF123

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice