1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell vs HP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tehgame, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tehgame

Tehgame Thread Starter

Which of these two is better to buy in terms of support/features/graphics/etc...
    I'm not a heavy gamer and rarely play any games except for maybe WoW.

Thank you

Dell: $999 (plus you get a $150 gift certificate to dell back)
    HP: $714

2. masterjim

masterjim

HP is the more reliable of the two. With Dell,their laptops are not as reliable as their desktops. You should get a 3-yr warranty at the very least if you go with a Dell laptop. Personally, I would take a look at Fujitsu, Acer or Lenovo. Fujitsu for instance has a spill-proof keyboard and an anti-shock hard drive in addition to a finger print reader and a webcam like the Dell,but with the lowest failure and return rate in the industry. Made in Japan and number one there. Dell is made in Malaysia,and other brands are made in China. Fujitsu start at $599 and you can get XP Pro on most models or Vista or both on some models.Fujitsu, Acer and Lenovo have tech support in USA, while Dell and HP outsources their tech support to India. That's something you should consider. Another brand is Asus, which is more for gamers but they start at around $1000 but come with a 2-yr warranty.

3. Tehgame

Tehgame Thread Starter

I've had trouble with Acer laptops in the past, the support is lacking, the features are too.
    and Lenovo is a business laptop, not for entertainment/photography/music. Fujitsu is plain expensive. These are the two that have deals right now, which is why I'm considering one or the other...

So far HP - 1, Dell - 0

4. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    I have 3 HP machines. The newest is a dv6929nr. Zero problems with the HP units. I also had 5 older Dells. One of the Dells is still in service with a cousin. Two of the Dells CD drives failed within 15 minutes of each other just two weeks ago. Amazing coincidence, but true!. Two others were donated and I have no info on their current operation.
    JFI...the reason for all the laptops is because the company I worked for disposed of the salemens old/damaged units every couple of years (after tax related accountability) by giving them to employees. I would routinely take 20-30, check, clean up, trade parts etc to get a few back into good working order. I then donated to people/organizations based on need.

5. arknorth

arknorth

Normally there was a phrase that used to run through the shop when it came to Dells... "Oh hell, it's a Dell..." But, that differred between types. Your list above shows all the goodies inside the machines, but needs one other thing on both - MODEL NUMBERS - and here's why...

Having sold both (HPs as new and Dells and referbished), there are some things to take into note - in the case of Dell, is it a Latitude, an Inspiron or a XPS? This matters because of the case that the unit will be installed in. If you want one that is best for long-term heavy-duty service that can take a bounce or two, this had better be a Latitude (from your description of 'Jet Black' body, I'm surmising that it is not).

As for the HP, I would want to know the model for the sake of knowing if it is a tried and true body, as I can tell you about problems we had with some of our floor models when they were new 'first run' designs - it usually takes Compaq/HP a model or two into a series to get all the bugs out, put vent holes in the right place, and just get the beastie running 100%.

Now I'm an HP feind - have always loved their computers and printers. Personally, of all the HP equipment I've had, only one has given me any real heartache. But then again, I never thought I would own a Dell, and now I have two. I'm typing this message on the one (my converted Optiplex) and the Mrs has a D600 Latitude. Both work fine, though the Latitude does have some age-quirks.

If I am looking at the two, the best ON-LINE support seems to be with (Gawd) Dell. As for service in general. both companies have plenty of good and bad stories to banter about, but both will service here in the States. And yes, the tech is out THERE somewhere, which is why it sometimes pays to get those store 'Extended Service Warranties' and/or 'Protection Plans' - in most cases, their techs will be here in the States, and they read from the same manuals those in Timbucktoo do (plus the fact that neither Dell's or HP's basic warranties cover the LCD part of the screen).

So my take is the (Gack) Dell if its a Latitude, take the HP if it's a model that had its body in use for a while.

A-N

6. Tehgame

Tehgame Thread Starter

Sorry!

HP dv5z

Dell Studio 15

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Forgetting the brand name which means nothing to me, I would rather have the Intel any day of the week to Amd as the Core 2 Duo blows away the Amd dual core.

8. masterjim

masterjim

There are actually some deals on Fujitsu in the price range of the HP and Dell you are considering. Go to notebookshop.com and check out the different models. Also have you seen the Acer Aspire Blue Gemstone series? C2D, 16-inch screen,cinema touch pad,etc. This is a true entertainment notebook. Circuit City has the best prices on this model,starting around $699. I have an Acer Aspire 5102WLMi,about 2-yrs old and have no problems. My first laptop was an HP. Excellent hardware but runs on the hot side along with Dell,Sony and Apple- the popular brands,which is why there is a market for laptop cooling pads. Acer and Fujitsu do run cooler than most other brands due to a magnesium alloy chassis and more air ducts in the design. As for AMD vs Intel,unless you are an avid gamer or do heavy video editing or encoding,the average person won't see much of a difference in speed in normal everyday applications like wordpad,spreadsheets,e-mail,digital photos,web surfing,etc. AMD does the same job as Intel for a lot less money. More bang for your buck. The RAM and graphics card will make more of a difference. For Vista, 2GB RAM is minimum,3GB even better. Both ATI and NVidea graphics cards are better than Intel's GPU. Get a dedicated graphics card for the best in gaming performance.

9. arknorth

arknorth

Maybe so (and I agree with Rich-M when he says go Intel in this case), but Fujitsu's aren't prevelent over here on the right coast. Yes, you can get them on Tiger and such, but service over here lacks.

A-N

10. Tehgame

Tehgame Thread Starter

All I see for Fujitsu is over 1000$.

1) Acer = bad customer service, 2) They come with integrated graphics cards which are terrible.

Acer Aspire Gemstone = more then 15.4 inches. I just want a 15 inch screen with a good resolution. Anything more then 1280x800. which the 2 laptops i linked satisfy that requirement.

Temperature isn't a problem because I have a laptop cooling pad.

11. arknorth

arknorth

Well, if you're looking inexpencive, there is always referbished... try these three for example...

Referbished Dell Inspiron 1501

Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
    Processor AMD® Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology
    Processor Speed 1.8GHz
    Hard Drive 80GB 5,400RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive
    Multimedia Drive Combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive
    Display Type 15.4" Widescreen XGA Display
    Video Card ATi Radeon® Xpress 1150
    Video Card Memory 256MB Total Available Graphics Memory
    Internal Max Resolution 1280 x 800
    Sound Card High Definintion Audio Chipset
    Ports and Connectors (1) VGA 15-pin Port; (4) USB 2.0 "A" Ports; (1) RJ-11 Modem Port; (1) RJ-45 Network Port; (1) Microphone; (1) Audio Out
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 14.0" x 10.45" x 1.44"
    Weight 6.19 lbs.
    Manufacturer Warranty 90 Day Limited Warranty

Referbished IBM ThinkPad T41

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition
    Processor Intel® Pentium M Processor
    Processor Speed 1.60GHz
    Level 2 Cache 1MB Level 2 Cache
    Data Bus Speed 400MHz Frontside Bus
    RAM Installed / Max RAM Supported 512MB DDR-333 RAM (Expandable to 2GB)
    Memory Configuration (1) 512MB SO-DIMM Memory Module
    Memory Slots Available (1) Available 200-pin SO-DIMM Slot
    Hard Drive 40GB Hard Drive
    Multimedia Drive Combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive
    Display Type 14.1" XGA Display
    Video Card ATi Mobility Radeon 7500 Video Chipset
    Internal Max Resolution 1024 x 768
    Modem/Communications Device 56Kbps Modem
    Network Features 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Network
    Wireless Network Features 802.11b Wireless Network
    Ports and Connectors (1) Parallel 25-pin Port; (1) VGA 15-pin Port; (1) S-Video Out Port; (2)USB 2.0 Ports (1) RJ-45 Network Port; (1) RJ-11 Modem Port; (1) Audio Out; (1) Microphone; (1) Port Replicator Connector
    Expansion Slots (1) Cardbus PCMCIA Type II Slot
    Input Devices Keyboard, Touchpad
    Included Battery 6 Cell Rechargable Lithium-Ion Battery
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 12.2" x 10.0" x 1.0"
    Weight 4.9 lbs.

Referbished Compaq (HP) Presario F750US

Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
    Processor AMD® Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor TK-57
    Processor Speed 1.90 GHz
    Level 2 Cache 512KB Level 2 Cache
    Data Bus Speed 1600MHz Frontside Bus
    RAM Installed / Max RAM Supported 1GB DDR2-533 RAM (Expandable to 3GB)
    Memory Configuration (2) 512MB SO-DIMM Memory Modules
    Memory Slots Available (0) Available 200-pin SO-DIMM Slots
    Hard Drive 120GB 5,400RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive
    Multimedia Drive SuperMulti 8x DVD±RW Drive with Double Layer Support
    Display Type 15.4" Widescreen XGA High-Definition BrightView Display
    Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 7000M Video Chipset
    Video Card Memory Up to 287MB Total Available Graphics Memory
    Internal Max Resolution 1280 x 800
    Modem/Communications Device High Speed 56K Modem
    Network Features 10/100 Fast Ethernet Network
    Wireless Network Features IEEE-802.11b/g Wireless Network
    Ports and Connectors (1) VGA 15-pin Port; (1) S-Video Out Port; (3) USB 2.0 "A" Ports; (1) RJ-11 Modem Port; (1) RJ-45 Network Port; (1) Microphone Port; (1) Headphone Out Port
    Memory Card Reader 5-in-1 Digital Media Reader
    Supported Flash Media Secure Digital, MultiMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, xD Picture
    Input Devices Keyboard, Touchpad
    Notebook Security Kensington MicroSaver Lock Slot
    Included Power Supply 65 Watt AC Adapter
    Included Battery 6 Cell Rechargable Lithium-Ion Battery
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 10.12" x 14.06" x 1.55"
    Weight 5.68 lbs.

The trick with these three is - A - they all range from $275 to $499 in price, and - B - are available 'down the road' from your location in Silicon Valley at the Micro Center there (http://www.microcenter.com/search/s...gory=ED1J&manufacturer_title=&sortby=pricelow )

That T41 looks interesting...

A-N

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice