1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Windows 7 64-bit Turning off randomly.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by alttf, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alttf

alttf Thread Starter

My and my familly have four computers. Two are laptops. One Laptop is Running Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit (Upgraded from Vista Home Premium), another is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Neither of these have any problems.

However, the two desktop computers we own have the same problem. Both are made by Dell. My desktop, running Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit SP1 turns off randomly, without displaying a "shutting down" screen and without downloading or installing any updates. This has been happening for the last three months (when I first started using the computer), yet has got more common starting two weeks ago, happening five times since then, three in the last 48 hours.

The computer sometimes turns off while typing, however the last two times it has turned off the mouse and keyboard (while on, according to their lights) have stopped moving on the screen for two-five seconds before the computer turns off.

The first time it turned off, it showed a blue screen for a split second that I didn't have time to read, but it hasn't shown this screen since.

After the computer turns off, it normally turns back on after a few seconds, and I get a message telling me that my computer had not shut down safely, with the option to run safe mode, as it would had I turned it off without choosing the shutting down option..

I don't know too much about the problem with the other computer as another family member uses it. However I do know that it has done similar twice in one and a half months and that it is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.

This is a major problem for me as I do a lot of work using my computer, especially online and while I can normally recover documents, I tend to loose my 'flow' when the computer turns off randomly like that, and with it becoming more fequent, I'm beginning to get worried that I may loose a lot of time or a lot of work in the near future, although I do back-up my work weekly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for all help offered!

2. TTY

TTY

Go into Bios check the power section. Monitor the CPU temperature for 10 minutes to see if it is stable or continues to rise. Also check the power supply voltages to see if they are in range. I would expect CPU temp to be in 35 deg c. or lower in bios. It will run higher in windows. Temp is a guess since I don't know which processor.

3. Hughv

Hughv

Check Event Viewer for clues.
    Run the Dell Diagnostics, if included with your model.

4. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Also try a BIOS update. If you need help on how to do this, please tell me the full model name of the PC and I will write up directions for you.

5. DexterDave

DexterDave

I'd say it can be your RAM, same thing happened to me. It's unlikely the temperature, unless your cooling system failed and your heavy loading your CPU. How much RAM do you have? 1 module(stick) or 2 modules? or more? what I did is I removed 1 RAM module at a time and booted my computer without the RAM, and see if it gives any probs. Try it with every module(stick). Make sure when you remove the RAM to discharge yourself to the outer PC case since RAM modules are very sensitive to electrostatic discharge

6. alttf

alttf Thread Starter

TTY: My tempreture seems to be stable both in and out of BIOS.

Hughv: I uninstalled all Dell programs when I first got the computer, but I don't think it was included with the machine anyway. How do I get into the Event Viewer and what sort of thing would I be looking for?

LagunaGTO: I would need help in doing this, I'm using an Inspiron 580 MT

DexterDave: I don't think this is what you're asking but I have 6GB of RAM, that I use very little of, I'm normally only running a few tabs in Internet Explorer, or working in a few Adobe CS5 programs or Office 2010.

Since then, my last post, the computer has turned off randomly three times, and has frozen on the "Starting Windows" screen once. I'va also noticed that my External Hard drive tends to make a very loud noise either just before or just after the computer turns off (it varies).

I've attached the reciept I got from Dell with all personal details blurred out, which I believe contains all of my specs to this post.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've had a lot of work recently.

Attached Files:

7. Hughv

Hughv

The Dell diagnostics are on your drive in a separate partition. You can access them at boot by pressing F12.
    Event Viewer is in Control Panel/Admin Tools. Look for red marks in System and/or application. Make special note of events that recur.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would disregard the advice to update your bios. A BIOS Flash gone wong can render your computer useless. And in some computers the only way to recover from it is to send it to the factory for repair. BIOS Should only be flashed if the update corrects a problem that you are experiencing or to add processor compatibility. It should not be used as a troubleshooting technique.

9. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

If it's a Dell XPS (especially the 435/580 MTs), the number one problem is the power supply. My wife and I both had the same problem. Replacing the piece of crap power supply in both systems completely eliminated the problem. Make sure you get 550W or better (we got 850s).

While you are at it, grab a can of air and blow out the dust in the PC.

10. alttf

alttf Thread Starter

Sorry for taking so long to get back to everyone about this, but the Event Viewer didn't show any red marks, and the diagnostics didn't see anything wrong.

Yesterday, my computer loaded up fine expect the mouse and keyboard didn't do anything, and after pressing the power button to turn of the computer it was stuck saying "shutting down" for over half an hour before I gave up and turned it off by holding the power button. Could this be related to my problem?

Today, it turned off while on the welcome screen as it was loading the desktop. So it doesn't just happen while I'm using the computer.

Thanks for all the help so far and thanks in advance for any further suggestions!

11. alttf

alttf Thread Starter

A quick update on that.

This morning, when I started my computer and opened up IE8 to check my Google Mail inbox, I recieved a message that Adobe Catalyst Control has stopped responding (which seems to open up on startup), and needed to be closed. After choosing to close it without checking for a solution, the same message appeared on IE8. After chosing to close that, a strange mess of colours appeared on my monitor (similar to static, but with coloured bars rather than black and grey dots - I've seen this happen on other electronic devices with a screen before), then my monitor told me it wasn't reciving a signal and my computer's fan starting making the loudest noise it had ever made.

After a few minutes, I turned the computer off via the mains, and then turned it back on. It turned itself off during the "Welcome" screen like yesterday, then turned itself back on. After that, I loaded up this page and started typing out this message, and went to the kitchen, but when I came back, all I saw was my desktop and the authentication for the G-Mail notifer, so my computer had probably turned itself off and back on again.

It's never happened three days in a row before, and never more than once in the same day. Could the problem be caused by my IE installation in some way, is my problem getting worse, or is this all just a one-off coincidence?

Again, thanks in advance for any help.

12. Hughv

Hughv

Reinstall the video driver.

13. alttf

alttf Thread Starter

I have tried every suggestion (bar the BIOS update) offered so far as well as replacing the power supply. I have also formatted the computer. Nothing has changed the situation. Are there any further suggestions or would I be better off buying a new computer at this point?

As always, thanks in advance for all help offered.

14. lehatche

lehatche

Might I suggest at this point that it sounds like you might need to see a repair Tech. I might be wrong but in my experience I have found a bad or going bad power supply can damage the motherboard. good luck

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice