1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Windows XP Boot...PLEASE Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by coliesman, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coliesman

coliesman Thread Starter

Okay, So I was surfing the net, when I got the dreaded BSOD, so I restarted my machine, and the flash screen cameup okay, at first, after the flash screen, it was saying

"Loading descriptor for PBR 2...done

Disk Read error
    Press control, alt, delete ro restart"

now it is saying

"Loading descriptor for PBR 4...done

disk error
    press any key to restart"

I don't have the recovery CD, and Dell is not being kind, is there a way or files that i can download to get my comp up and running so i can try and fix the problem? I have pics of my daughter on my HDD that I need to save, I can't get the comp to load in safe mode, what can i do, please help!!!

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

3. coliesman

coliesman Thread Starter

i ordered the new disk, but what can i do in the mean time, if anything....I want to be able to get on the comp and save my daughters pics and some other files that are on here...

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You can manually backup the data files as follows:

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable

5. coliesman

coliesman Thread Starter

right, going to get another comp from a friend now....how hard is it to do if the other machine is a Red Hat machine?

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If you know how to setp the drive as a slave drive and connect it to the secondary IDE cable and get the computer to recognize it then all you have to do is find the data and copy it to one special directory and then burn it to a disc.

7. coliesman

coliesman Thread Starter

okay, i also have a windows xp disk now, i inserted it, and set the comp to start from the cd, but it keeps going back to the same thing " loading PBR for descriptor 4...done

disk error
    press any key to restart"

what now?

8. omertez

omertez

Hi coliesman,
    can you press f8 on the first boot and choose last good configuration?

9. coliesman

coliesman Thread Starter

the only thing i am able to do is get to the windows setup screen....
    then it asks if i want to quit, install or recover....
    i hit "R" for recover, and it comes up with the cmd prompt c:

10. coliesman

coliesman Thread Starter

my biggest fear is that i have lost the pics of my daughter when she was a baby....

11. coliesman

coliesman Thread Starter

any help?

12. mt2002

mt2002

Have you set the BIOS to boot from CD, and disabled all other media (hard drive)?

If so, and it still gives the error:

-> In Windows Setup, the C: prompt is the Recovery Console. If you have a floppy disk,
    you can use commands (type help for a list) and copy your files to floppy.

->Or, Use a recovery disk to backup the files. You can get these for free on the internet.
    My personal favoriate is Winternals. Copy the files, and reinstall XP.

-> Or, Follow ozrom1e's very usefull suggestion that might work;

-> Or, either use a hardware device to try directly copying from one hard drive to a
    secondary slave. Buy a new hard drive, install XP, and get the files from the secondary
    slave.

-> Or, if you are desprate, Take the hard drive to a data retrieval shop--can get expensive.

Their probably are more options. Whatever you choose to backup your data,
    a) I hope its successfull, b) You will be needing another computer or hard drive,
    and c) Back up next time ;)

13. coliesman

coliesman Thread Starter

i was just going through some things with my wife's cousin who is a developer with ibm, when we checked for partitions, the only one that was showing was FAT, and it said it only had 10mb of free space...any thoughts? call some data recovery experts?

14. mt2002

mt2002

You can call a data recovery shop and explain the situation (Including the FAT information
    you posted), and see what they say.

15. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and take a look at the following:

"Bad PBR" means the partition boot record the MBR is trying to load has an invalid sector signature.

Right before that message, you should see something like "Loading PBR for descriptor 2". That will tell you which PBR the MBR is having a problem with--descriptor '1' is the Dell Utility partition, '2' is the XP partition, and '3' is the Dell Restore partition.

First, make sure that all connections are secure, and reseat the RAM.

If no luck and it uses Windows XP, then press the F8 key during startup, select Safe mode from the menu using the arrow keys, and press Enter.
    If it starts in Safe mode, then do a clean boot to find the cause:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310353

If it does not start in Safe mode, then restart, press the F8 key during startup, and select 'Last Known Good Configuration'.

If still no luck, then press the F2 key during startup to get into Setup(try the Del key if F2 does not work), and make sure the CD drive is configured to boot ahead of the HD.
    Then, insert the Windows(or Recovery) CD, restart, and follow the steps shown here to access the Recovery Console, and do a FIXBOOT(writes a new partition table to the HD)-> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/

If that does not fix things, then do a FIXMBR(repairs the HD's Master Boot Record) using the same above procedure for a FIXBOOT, except substitute FIXMBR.

If still no luck, then you may have to do a repair install as described in the above link(Follow the steps for having an OEM version of XP).

If no good, then do a fresh install of XP(You will lose all data, restore points, and updates).

If there are problems doing that, then either the HD or RAM may be bad.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/576903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice