1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell wireless 1505 adapter mini-card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Benny Bumble, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Benny Bumble

Benny Bumble Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I'm going bananas! Here's the scoop. I have a desktop & Dell 1520 laptop running thru a Netgear 2000 router/modem. The problem is with the laptop. I've set up the router wireless with wpa-psk security with the ethernet cable & everything works fine when I disconnect the cable. When I shut down for a night, laptop & router both off, then turn everything on the next day it connects wirelessly & all is fine.Here's the problem. If I leave everything on & let the laptop go into standby & then hit the switch to bring it out of standby, sometimes it connects OK & other time NO!!! When it disconnects & I attempt to re-connect the process with the card utility it assumes it is set for WEP, WHICH IT IS NOT!! & is asking for the appropriate password of either exactly 8 or 13 letters. Incidently the passphrase has 12 letters in it, but it's set for wpa-psk not wep! I've rechecked the router settings & thats what they are so it must be with the adapter.
    I figure it's got to be a setting somewhere on the adapter but I haven't a clue.Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.
    Ben

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The problem is that network connections don't always work after Standby/Sleep/Hibernate. Make sure you have the latest correct driver for the adapter. There's not much else you can do except try another adapter.

When I have that issue my workaround is to switch the wireless off (if integrated) or disconnect before Standby or Hibernation.

3. Benny Bumble

Benny Bumble Thread Starter

Hi Terry,
    Thanks so much for replying. Yes I do have the latest driver for the adapter,recently updated from the previous one but still acts the same way. Incidently I'm on the laptop today after shutting down from yesterdays experience of diconnected after standby,hibernate maybe & not being able to reconnect but having no problem auto connecting to-day by powering up!
    In one of the advance tools for the adapter I see a capability to "lock wireless settings". Do you or anyone familiar with this particular adapter know exactly what that does & whether or not it would be advisable to "enable" the function? FYI the adapter came integrated with the machine.
    Ben

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm not familiar with that adapter or that capability. My guess is that it would prevent connecting to any other wireless network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/863327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice