1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell wireless connection problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gregmccomish, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gregmccomish

gregmccomish Thread Starter

Hello EVeryone,
    I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and the Dell Wireless router. I have very frustrating, intermittent problems connecting through the wireless connection. Sometimes I can get on for hours at a time. Other times, I can't stay connected for more than a few minutes. And this is when using the laptop in the same position. So at first I thought it could be an obstruction (reflective surface or other interference) but why does it connect fine some days and not other days? When it disconnects, sometimes I can get back on by right-clicking on the icon in the system tray and using the Repair function. But this does not always work.

Is my problem the fact that I saved money by buying the Dell router instead of a good one like a Lynksys?

Thank you,
    Greg McComish

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Greg:Can we assume that you are running XP?If so what version(home/pro/SP1/SP2).
    How are you connected.DSL/Cable).
    What does your environment look like. How are you connected(modem/router/desktop/laptop)
    The first thing you might try is to change the wireless channel being used.That is .usually done through the routers admin page.
    In the US recommended channels are 1/6 and one other that I cannot recall.You can also get interference from cordless phones .
    Also,if you are using a wireless utility on your pc,then make sure that Wireless zero config is not running.

3. gregmccomish

Hello,

Okay here are the basics
    Windows XP Home, SP2
    Configuration is modem to router, 2 desktops hard wired from router, and the Dell Laptop has a wireless card.

I don't know what this means:
    Also,if you are using a wireless utility on your pc,then make sure that Wireless zero config is not running

Thanks,
    Greg

4. gregmccomish

Oh yeah, the connection is cable modem.

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

OK:Need make and model of router and what type of wireless card are you using?
    Did you try changing the wireless channel.How about cordless phones in the vicinity
    When you started to use wireless on the laptop,did you load any software on it to support the wireless adapter card?

6. Dell_CA

Dell_CA Account Closed

Hello,

My name is Mike, I’m a Technical Analyst located at Dell corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I'm part of an internet outreach team developed to interact with the online community regarding technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products. I've read your post and wanted to offer a couple of suggestions.

First, does this happen around the same time everyday? Second, do you have your router locked to keep others off of your connection? Third, as mentioned previously in this thread, certain cordless phones can kill the signal, more specifically 2.4 GHz cordless phones. I had a customer who lived in an apartment complex and would lose connectivity at random. After more then a week of troubleshooting the problem he realized that every time he would lose connection his neighbor would be on her back patio using her cordless phone. As soon as she would hang up the phone the wireless signal would come back. This was fixed by moving the router further away from that side of his apartment. Also, large bodies of standing water such as large fish tanks, large potted plants, and I've even seen 6 gallon water coolers do this.

Intermittent wireless problems are some of the worst to diagnose, but if you can find a pattern in the failures it usually helps determine the fix. One more thing... if the wireless signal has worked before without problems, think about what changed right before you started having these issues. Could be some newly installed software, maybe some new hardware (not necessarily in your computer but somewhere around the router), a big one is any new environmental changes around the router. If possible have a friend with a wireless card connect to your router and see if you both lose connection at the same time. This would at least narrow it down to the card or the router as well as help determine if it is environmental or computer related.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me at [email protected] with this topic in the subject line, ATTN: Mike B (Dell I6000 wireless), and I’ll get back to you ASAP. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mike B.
    Dell customer advocate.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice