Dell Wireless Mini Card not working after rebuild

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sjolander

Hello!

After reading some similar solutions I feel that this forum is one of the few with members that actually know what they're talking about, so I'm really hopeful that you can help me!!

Recently my dell inspiron 1501 had an onslaught of viruses. A friend was able to retrieve my data and reinstalled windows. However, upon return of the computer a few things aren't working quite right. My main concern is my wireless internet. The 1395 mini card is not detected in device manager and although I installed the driver even the dell wireless utitlity won't work either. There are a few things listed in Other devices with yellow question marks/exclamation points: Base system device, network controller, SM bus controller, and video controller. All of these under properties say the drivers are not installed, but when I try to install drivers from device manager it can't find any. Please help!!!!

Thank you :)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Your friend apparently formatted the hard drive and did a clean install of Windows XP, then returned the computer to you without installing the drivers for all of its devices.

It appears at this point that the chipset, video, and network drivers need to be installed.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What's the 7-character service tag number on the sticker of that Dell Inspiron 1501?

Go into the Device Manager, then double-click the question marked devices to open their properties window, then click the "Details" tab.

Look for a string that has VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of the string.

Advise what the characters are that follow VEN_ and DEV_.

It appears that the devices in that computer are

ATI IGP Xpress 1150 graphics

SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio sound

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller wired connection

Dell Wireless WLAN wireless connection

Synaptics touchpad

ATI SM bus controller

but we need to confirm that so the proper drivers can be obtained.

Sjolander

Hey flavallee,

Service tag is 9zrkcf1

For base system it is Ven_1180 Dev_0843
Network: Ven_14E4 Dev_4315
SM Bus Controller: Ven_1002 Dev_4385
Video: Ven_1002 Dev_5975

Any other info needed? Thanks so much!!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Vendor code 1180 and device code 0843 are assigned to this device:

Chip Number: R5C853

Chip Description: Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller

Vendor code 14E4 and device code 4315 are assigned to this device:

Chip Number: BCM4315/BCM22062000

Chip Description: Broadcom Wireless b/g

Vendor code 1002 and device code 4385 are assigned to this device:

Chip Number: ATI RD600/RS600

Chip Description: ATI SMBus

Vendor code1002 and device code5975 are assigned to this device:

Chip Number: RS482M

Chip Description: ATI RADEON Xpress Series

----------------------------------------------------------

According to service tag number 9ZRKCF1, here is the support site that's specific only to your Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop.

Here are the Windows XP drivers for most of the devices:

SigmaTel STAC 92xx C-Major High Definition Audio

Driver Version: 5.10.0.5515

Driver Date: 12/20/2007

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Ethernet Controller

Driver Version: 4.60

Driver Date: 06/27/2007

ATI IGP Xpress 1150

Driver Version: 8.31

Driver Date: 10/30/2007

ATI SMBus / Chipset Driver

Driver Version: 5.10.1000.7

Driver Date: 12/18/2007

Synaptics Touchpad

Driver Version: 8.2.4.6

Driver Date: 04/24/2006

Conexant D110,HDA,MDC V.92 Modem

Driver Version: 7.38.0

Driver Date: 09/18/2006

That laptop has Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN MiniCard, but the only driver for it at the Dell site is for Windows Vista and is located here.

I downloaded it and extracted its contents to determine if it might work with Windows XP, but the documentation says it's only for Windows Vista.

If you're unable to find a driver to get it to work, you're only other option is to buy an external USB wireless device. I've worked on a few laptops where the built-in wireless device stopped working and that option had to be used.

Install the ATI SMBus/Chipset Driver first and then restart your computer before you install any other needed drivers.

Keep me posted.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sjolander

Hello again,

Flavallee, thanks for your help. I've installed most of the missing drivers. Ha ha..I was a little confused for a minute because you linked the Broadcom to the Radeon Xpress by mistake, but I got it right in the end. So those three are gone from the other devices, and my screen is back to its old resolution. But sadly, I can't get the driver for the mini card. I tried installing the vista one, but of course it wouldn't do it, then I tried just the wlan card driver, but no luck there. I had tried the 1390 mini card one, but that didn't work. I'm going to keep searching and try some more, but I wish there was some way to contact dell directly and figure out why they don't have this driver!!! Anyway, thanks for your help! I'll let you now if I figure anything else out. :)

Sherry

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I was dealing with so many links, I guess I got a couple of them crossed up. :eek:

You're welcome. Keep me posted. :)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That's the driver for the Broadcom 440x 10/100 wired adapter.

She's trying to get the wireless adapter working.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts